Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's strange, even though I've battled ich a few times and I have a little cyano, my corals all do fantabulous. So funny to think I have better luck with corals than with fish!
My tank is only a few months old, and I already have almost 1/4 inch patches of coralline on the back wall. But definitely show us what you come up with for the rocks!!

MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got the poly blend in red and captain blue. Also I found out what they do to dye the rock. It's non toxic water based acrylic paint so I ordered that too. Just need to get salt lol I forgot that at the store.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:58 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have found a place called smooth on that sells plastic molding supplies that has a section for aquarium decorations. They have a video for making live rock. How to color it to look like coraline and what not. Check them out. Won't hurt anything.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:25 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusty_one
I have found a place called smooth on that sells plastic molding supplies that has a section for aquarium decorations. They have a video for making live rock. How to color it to look like coraline and what not. Check them out. Won't hurt anything.
Cool I'll def check them out.

Edit: I know them now, the problem is they only sell things separately and it costs like $25 per ingredient so if there are 5 ingredients I will have paid $125 and have alot of excess left over.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:43 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

DIY rock is really only cost effective if you're making huge batches and selling the remainder. Plus it takes months to be ready to use, depending on what you use to make the rock porous. I've heard of people using rock salt, sugar, even pasta. But it has to fully dissolve and leach out of the rock before it can go in the aquarium.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim

Cool I'll def check them out.

Edit: I know them now, the problem is they only sell things separately and it costs like $25 per ingredient so if there are 5 ingredients I will have paid $125 and have alot of excess left over.
Yeah I wasn't saying to buy it. But, I like the idea of combining the styrofoam technique with the cement technique. That way you can get lots of nooks and crannies and dissolve it right away and just have to wait for the cement to cure and leech out.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
I got the poly blend in red and captain blue. Also I found out what they do to dye the rock. It's non toxic water based acrylic paint so I ordered that too. Just need to get salt lol I forgot that at the store.
So your saying your going to "paint" your rock...IDK ,,that sounds risky ,,especially if you have fish with teeth nipping and picking at the rock..
Non toxic or not,i still don't know if i would trust it
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTMMWS
So your saying your going to "paint" your rock...IDK ,,that sounds risky ,,especially if you have fish with teeth nipping and picking at the rock..
Non toxic or not,i still don't know if i would trust it
It's for my 4g pico which will have 2 clown gobies and the companies which sell coral inserts paint them the same way.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Really, i didn't know that..

FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dyi, dying, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com