My salt is rock hard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scoles_b

Aquarium Advice Regular
Wondering if it is okay to add this salt to a FOWLR system. I have about 20 pounds of salt left and it has somehow gotten wet.. it is a solid chunk. Can I break this down and add this to my tank? Or should I just toss it?

Salt is a natural desecant and used to PREVENT bacterial build-up. So if it simply absorbed miosture from the air because the top wasn't properly sealed, then, yes, you should be fine to break up the salt, mix it and use it. If it got wet because something was spilled in it, and if there is potential for pollutants, then I'd toss it.
Some will tell you to throw it out no matter what, likely the same people who brush their teeth in RO/DI water before talking to their fish. I'm a bit more of a realists. If I had $40 of salt in a chunk due to careless bucket sealing, I'd keep using it.

Salt is a natural desecant and used to PREVENT bacterial build-up. So if it simply absorbed miosture from the air because the top wasn't properly sealed, then, yes, you should be fine to break up the salt, mix it and use it. If it got wet because something was spilled in it, and if there is potential for pollutants, then I'd toss it.
Some will tell you to throw it out no matter what, likely the same people who brush their teeth in RO/DI water before talking to their fish. I'm a bit more of a realists. If I had $40 of salt in a chunk due to careless bucket sealing, I'd keep using it.

Bahahaha! The teeth thing is so funny! (y)

If your bucket isn't sealed tightly, moisture will cause it to clump. No big deal.

just be sure to desolve it first so you get the proper salinity , not to over salt your tank
and shock your fish

Darn I had a bag never been opened sitting in my closet for a pretty long time probably over 6 months maybe more and it was hard as a rock and I throw it away. 50 gallons bag too.... I did not think it was any good.

This stuff is mostly mined in a salt mine. It comes put of the ground hard as concrete. It gets ground up and put in a bucket and off to the LFS. The salt you are adding is millions of years old...couple of years in the closet really doesn't count. ;-)

This stuff is mostly mined in a salt mine. It comes put of the ground hard as concrete. It gets ground up and put in a bucket and off to the LFS. The salt you are adding is millions of years old...couple of years in the closet really doesn't count. ;-)

Agreed..

I always thought that and read that the salt was chemicaly made trying to match Natural Saltwater "ocean water".... From various salt manufactors.

I always thought that and read that the salt was chemicaly made trying to match Natural Saltwater "ocean water".... From various salt manufactors.

The salt is formed from ancient oceans, so it has the minerals it needs. I would guess the salt producers test and maybe add stuff.

Back
Top Bottom