Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-19-2006, 08:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
And I thought the sand bed on my 10 gallon was deep :/ about 2 inches a 6 inch inch sand bed would full up hald my tank...and weigh 75 lbs.

Jarred Darque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:15 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Yah, that is the problem of a DSB. In order to create an envirnment that is truely depleted of O2, it needs to be that deep.

Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:19 PM   #13
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Originally Posted by lando
I prefer to stick with a sand bed of 3 inches and provide plenty of LR for my biological filtration.
I prefer to keep mine 1 inch less then this.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, even if I where doing SW in my 75, that is too deep :/ but on a really large, or at least a tall tank, i.e. 24+ inches tall, I could def see me doin that.
Jarred Darque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:18 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
Mine is about 3 inches but only in the front of the tank. The back is bare bottom as i have a spray bar to push waste forward.
angelscrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:32 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Originally Posted by DreamerTheresa
I'm assuming that you'd release the gasses by vacuuming, and not by having sand sifters?
It could happen, if you have gas pockets deeper than the sifters/stirrers can reach and you try to vacuum too deep. I don't know how often that will happen, but just be aware that it can. I do agree the vacuuming of the sand could possibly remove some of the nitrifying bacterai, but if you have enough LR, you should be good to go.

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com