My Stocking Plans For The New Tank. Comments?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patroklos

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright, with my new tank nearing completion (just waiting for the base/live rock to arrive) I figured it is time to get my stocking plan in order as far as fish go. This is a long term plan for tank development purposes, I have no intention of going and buying all of these fish right now but rather over a year or two. Since I will have a good two months of cycling ahead of me I would like to get two things done in the mean time.

1.) Figure out what fish I want and what order to introduce them.
2.) Do so in time to start quarantining my first acquisition so it is ready when the tank finishes cycling.

So, here is what I have come up with, spare me no criticism! The tank is a 65 gallon with a 30 gallon sump and will have 95lbs of LR, which I figure gives me about 25" of fish to work with give or take.

Three Blue/Green Chromis OR Blue Reef Chromis for 9".

th-70197-blue-green-chromis.jpg
th-70119-chromis.jpg

Two Clarkii Clownfish for 6".

th-26101-clarkii.jpg

One Cheveron Tang for 6"

CP_tang_chevron.jpg

One One Beau Gregory Damsel OR Starki Damsel for 3"

damsel_gregory.jpg
th-89666-starcki-damsel.jpg

One Blue Spot Jawfish for 3".

CP_jawfish_bluespot.jpg

All of those give me 26" of fish. Now, I did my best to find compatable fish but feel free to tell me if I messed up anywhere. The good thing about a long term plan is that you have time to change it. Also, I padded the list with an extra fish assuming one at least would be shot down completely.

As for order of aquisition, I am currently planning on going Clown Fish --> Jawfish --> Chromis --> Tang --> Damsel. I read that the Damsels are the most aggressive/territorial (I know the clowns can be too) so I though putting it in last would give the others time to stake out a claim.

So, what do you guys think? Comments?

Yes, a full reef tank, but not right away. I am going to play with one or two fish and a couple inverts for a few months and see how it goes. I am working on those lists as well and will post them when I decide on anything even remotely concrete.

I would not purchase fish through an inch/margin. I've always noticed more social tolerability with Blue Reef Chromis than the Blue/Green. Damsels can be fiesty lil' beasties, but I love them! You might be better off with the Yellowtail damsel or Talbot's (rather shy in territorial nature, but always out and about). From your list I would stock this way: Jawfish, Chevron Tang, Clarkii's, Chromis, Damsels. If you went with Talbot's damsels I would stock them before the clownfish or at the same time. Since you are planning ahead, bravo :) , what about creating a niche where all animals are from the same general ecosystem?...just a thought :D

I would not purchase fish through an inch/margin.

What method do you use to gauge your bioload?

I've always noticed more social tolerability with Blue Reef Chromis than the Blue/Green.

I have heard this as well. The Blue Reef Chromis would also add some richer colors to the tank. I am trying to get a contrasting mix or dark/neon blues and bright reds/yellows.

I guess I got the Damsel right stocking wise! Do you think that the Chromis and Damsel will have trouble getting along. All the online vendors always classify Chromis as different than Damsels, but after reading some more technical sources they seem to be the same for all intents and purposes, and I hear damsels don't care for there own kind (which makes Chromis the exception I guess).

what about creating a niche where all animals are from the same general ecosystem?

I worked with that in mind when I first started thinking about the fish I wanted, but then I would always get stuck wanting a fish not from the region! Right now I am looking for fish that I will enjoy looking at and that are for the most party hardy since I am a beginner. From the list the Chromis, Damsel, and clowns I picked are all described as hardy beginner fish so hopefully that will take the edge off the learning curve for me.

EDIT: Wow I just found some more Chromis choices!

http://www.petsolutions.com/Chromis+C162175.aspx

I like your suggestion of the Talbot as well...

120650L.jpg

Though its colors are a little more subtle than the other choices. Alrigtht, time to by that 150gal!

LOL, MTS already!
The fish per gallon rule doesn't take into account messy eaters, swimming room needs, territorial needs and such.

Agree with Scott and should be judged by overall size (including girth), behavioral patterns, and locomotion. Either way, I think you could add more fish if you wanted. I don't think the chromis' and damsels you are interested in will bother each other. I'll just go ahead and list the damsels I think are least aggressive:

Chrysiptera talboti (some pics do not show their true brilliance!)
Amblyglyphidodon aureus
Chrysiptera parasema
Chrysiptera galba
Chrysiptera cyanea
Pomacentrus vaiuli

Here's a couple of my favorite chromis':
Chromis ovalis
Chromis vanderbilti

If you do not want to risk damsels or chromis', look towards: Assessor macneilli and Assessor flavissimus. I think you'll like these ;)

LOL, MTS already!
The fish per gallon rule doesn't take into account messy eaters, swimming room needs, territorial needs and such.

What does MTS stand for?

Yeah, I realize that the inch thing is just a general rule and not definitive. I tried to pick species that were hardy, nonagressive and user friendly to try and mitigate some of the other considerations.

Either way, I think you could add more fish if you wanted

Really? I thought I was overdoing it. That is good news because from reading I really should have four or five Chromis as it seems a lot of people mention two Chromis picking on the third if there are only three. I wouldn't mind adding a Watchmen Goby...

th-39371-yellow-watchman.jpg

...people on this site seem to really enjoy them.

Of those damsels you listed are they nonagressive enough to have more than one?

I think you'd be fine with the Watchman goby, but I would add that before the jawfish just because of similar behavioral and dwelling habits not to mention jawfish tend to be more aggressive. I notice the damsels prefer to be in groups of conspecifics rather than a hodgepodge so I do not see any problems with multiple damsels of the same specie. Other than the Chevron tang and possible Watchman goby, I would list your tank as semi-aggressive anyways, which isn't a bad thing by any means :)

Hmmmm....

Well, I wouldn't mind two or more of any of the damsels pictured in thread so far, all three are beautiful.

And suggestions for maybe a Wrasse instead of a second Damsel?

Ok, how about this for a stocking list:

x1 Cryptocentrus cinctus, Yellow watchman goby
x1 Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis, Chevron tang
x1 Opistognathus rosenblatti, Bluespot jawfish
x2 (pair) Amphiprion clarkii, Clarkii clownfish
x5 Chromis cyaneus, Blue reef chromis
x5 Chrysiptera talboti, Talbot's damsel or Chromis vanderbilti, Vanderbilt chromis
As for a wrasse, what about one of the Wetmorella, Possum wrasse spp?

The only fish that will eventually pack in your tank a bit is the tang, but it should be fine for many years till then.

...That is good news because from reading I really should have four or five Chromis as it seems a lot of people mention two Chromis picking on the third if there are only three. ...

My opinion is that if you want three... get three. If one doesn't make it, get another. If you get five thinking you'll end up with three, then as luck has it you'll probably end up with five!

I've had three for over a year now in a 46g. Your mileage may vary...

x1 Cryptocentrus cinctus, Yellow watchman goby
x1 Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis, Chevron tang
x1 Opistognathus rosenblatti, Bluespot jawfish
x2 (pair) Amphiprion clarkii, Clarkii clownfish
x5 Chromis cyaneus, Blue reef chromis
x5 Chrysiptera talboti, Talbot's damsel or Chromis vanderbilti, Vanderbilt chromis
As for a wrasse, what about one of the Wetmorella, Possum wrasse spp?

That sounds good. Reading all the online fish vendors they all seem to warn against having multiple damsels, will those five talboti behave toether? I was at the LFS just now and they had a whole tank of .5 inch yellow tale damsels together and they didn't seem too hyper (EDIT: NM I see you answered this already).

I still haven't decided on a wrasse yet.

Hey Pat,
If it were me, I would throttle back a bit. I would ditch the Starki Damsel at all costs.

I would do a group of 3 chromis and not two sets. I would limit to 1 Clarki Clown and maybe consider a Midas Blenny in the mix. Awsome fishy and reasonably priced....tons of personality.

Alright, looks like the tank is ready. After four weeks I have:

Ammonia = 0
Nitrites = 0
Nitrates = 10
PH = 7.9
Salinity = 1.025

I have a load of refugium rubble arriving on Saturday, and if that doesn't affect the parameters after a few days I am putting my first fish in next week! That is off course assuming Marc gets off his butt and ships my now one month overdue base rock like he said he was today and it also gets here by Saturday. Honesty, he runs one of the worst small buisnesses ever (Marco Rocks). I suggest you never do buisness with him (even though he is personally a nice guy) if you want your product within the FY :rolleyes:

I am going to start with three Chromis just because I am new and they are hardy. I guess I need to put together a clean up crew...

Salinity = 2.5?

Isn't that a little high for your saltwater fish I believe u should be between 1.020 and 1.025

Unless your doing something different.....

So, one week later (and 1 1/2 months total) and still no base rock :(

I decided I to add my first macro organisms today (since I didn't get any hitchikers on the LR :( / :) ) to get my refugium in order and keep the hair algea in there from blooming out of control.

I added ten blue leg hermits to the refugium, a fist sized mass of grape cuperia (sp?) to the refugium, and three small conchs to the display tank. It felt great to actaully be adding life to the tank after 1 1/2 months of watching a boring cycled tank of LR. The hermits went crazy the algea, methodically cleaning the refugium bottom. The conchs just burried themselves in the sand, with there eyes poking out to the surface.

Still more interesting to look at than rocks!

I called Mark again yesterday and yet again he promised the BR would be shipped to me this week. We shall see :rolleyes:

Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 10
Salinity = 1.025
PH = 7.8 (I need to get this higher somehow)
Phosphate = .25
Temp = 80

I know it doesn't help a whole lot but in any case. Marc does have some really great looking base rock. The stuff we received was very porous and had all kinds of cool old coral skeletons and shells and such. Unfortunately, we had the same problem where we almost had to like threaten him just to get our order months late.

Back
Top Bottom