Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-17-2006, 05:12 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
i'm going to wait till the amoninia and nitrite are up then add the bio spira and see what happens.
Do not waste your money. I have tested it that way 3 different times. All with neg results. (PM'ed you)

Old 04-17-2006, 08:03 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to TheRealFF
I get in agruements with LFS all the time trying to buy equipments from them... I wanted to buy 2 maxijets (320GPH) for my 30G and guy at LFS said that my tank was too small + my skilter 250 provides enuf flow already... I wanted to buy some snails to graze on algae and he told me not to. I wanted to trade in my skilter 250 for a CSS125 and he suggested me getting a Prizm. I got the Prizm b/c he was older than me + he was suggesting dearly. One week later, I returned the Primz cuz it sucks and finally got the CSS125 after a few mins of agrueing 0.o

At another LFS, 2 guys working in there told me to get 2 firefishes b/c they like to live in pairs; chocolate chip starfish + camel shrimp were reef safe; flower pot was easy; blue damsels were peaceful... and all the other good stuff...

LFS's aren't trushworthy

I am one of those reefnuts that are actually nuts!
TheRealFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well most LFS are out to make money....PERIOD. I must brag on the LFS I take frags to though. The Vietnamese lady that runs/owns it has told people that fish are sold to keep them from buying them because they do not listen to her when she tells it is not suitable for them. She told me "he kill to many of my fish"
Old 04-17-2006, 11:13 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow what with Vietnamese peoples and pet stores lol. Both of the LFS i usually go to are both Vietnamese. Strange. They are taking ova the SW world! Yea, a vietnamese lady at my LFS told me not to spend too much money on a newly cycled tank... i didn't really listened then hehe. Only the owner of that store was good tho... the employees are out for my money big time.

Old 04-17-2006, 11:48 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh I see you are in Texas. I thought for a minute she may have been talking about you FF. My LFS was actually started during the depression and breed goldfish for woolworths. The founder died and passed it on to his son. I think he met his wife during the war. He is retired and now she runs the business for them.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:29 AM   #16
Tex
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay, my .02 and take all this with a grain of salt. On two recent Saturdays I recently traveled to dozens of the LFS's in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Two of the best stores were owned by asians, extremely high quality livestock and corals and crystal clear water and cleanliness. Several of the other stores were mini-chains and just sucked. You pretty much know within 5 minutes if you would buy livestock from any particular store or not. Seems to me the sole proprietorships are the best places in this hobby. I have a good one in my town, but just one.

Fast forward, my local reeef club president and friend told me about a horrendous encounter he had in Petco. A lady was interested in saltwater and had a shopping cart full of equipment, salt, tank and so forth. She asked the sales lady if she had everything she needed and then went over to pick out some fish!!!!!!!! The lady said loolks you're all set and proceeded to bag up some fish before my friend interviened. CRAP!!!!
Can this horseshit really be true? Thank goodnesss he was there.

Brenden, you did the right thing, as ignorant as I am I'll spend the time to research the animals requirements.

BTW - on rant - our local reef club president I mentioned is truly into reef conservation and coral fragging and local swap meets. More power to him. We can enjoy this incredible hobby without destroying the environment. As a matter of fact, we can preserve the reef if we become educated and cooperate.

Off rant!
Old 04-18-2006, 01:16 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
My LFS was actually started during the depression and breed goldfish for woolworths. The founder died and passed it on to his son. I think he met his wife during the war. He is retired and now she runs the business for them.
LOL! That asian lady told u about her life?! That's so funny! At another vietnamese LFS, the onwer also told my dad about how his life was really bad and how he started his business. That was how my dad and him became friends. Amazing haha

Quote:
Seems to me the sole proprietorships are the best places in this hobby. I have a good one in my town, but just one.
True that. I hate big LFS where most of the workers don't even know much about fishkeeping.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:00 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually she did not tell me. I read it here. http://features.aroundcarolina.com/greendale/

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com