Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2006, 04:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

My SW good deed for today

I just got back from dropping off a cooler of frags at the LFS. They were really busy. There was a young couple that were apparently wanting to start a SW tank but all employees were busy. They must have asked a customer in there a question about it because when I saw them this guy was giving them the biggest line of bull I have ever heard. I almost interrupted to ask if the guy even had a SW tank or if he had already killed everything After he walked off I gave them the AA address and told them to pay us a visit for the correct info. My rant is done I just could not believe some of the crap I heard from someone who supposedly has a tank. 8O

Old 04-14-2006, 05:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

What did the guy say?

Old 04-14-2006, 06:17 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I just could not believe some of the crap I heard from someone who supposedly has a tank.
There are lots of people that still learn all they know about SW husbandry from their LFS, in some cases that's not a bad thing, but in others it is a very bad thing.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 09:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
What did the guy say?
Well the first thing that caught my ear was no cycle needed.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
i got into a mini arguement with one of the workers at a lfs he said its impossible for your nitrates to be 0
Old 04-15-2006, 12:26 AM   #6

fight the good fight.
Its hard enough seeing the fish in those cubes than to let them go to there death in a tank that some LFS dork says will work.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:33 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

It was not the LFS giving the bad info. It was a customer. 8O
Old 04-15-2006, 12:36 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree! There was some dude that walked up to me and my girlfriend at the LFS and asked if we had any questions or needed any help. So, being polite I said yes and asked him about some button polyps. What kind of lighting and how fast will they spread and a few other simple questions just to see if he even knew anything about SW. He told me that his friend had a SW tank and that the polyp in his friends tank were under metal halide and that they had to be under that other wise my nitrates would go through the roof! At that point I just tuned him out. I was just thinking to myself, some peoples' kids...... He could have said something like I really don't know anything about saltwater but let me get someone who does. Everytime I go in there now i just ask to talk to the person in charge of the fish dept. She's pretty cool and if she doesnt know the answer to something she'll look it up in a book or ask someone who knows. Sorry that sparked a little anger in me. Its a soft spot.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:18 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
Personally I think that the SW fish in many a LFS would be better off in a persons home tank even if the person had no idea about SW and actualyl put the SW fish in a tank filled with FW. I am joking of course but some of the LFS that I see have lots of dead fish and clenlieness issues.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:14 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

i noticed the my lfs tells lies to, if they don't know something they make it up. when i'm in their the owners know me and know that i've been in saltwater for quite awhile and they will send people over to me to ask questions which i don't mind.

I also was told once about the no cycle needed by some kid working at my lfs. he showed me bio spira for saltwater which he said would work in a day to cycle the tank. I'm actually in the process of moving a tank's occupents to another and i can't do it all at once so i was going to use live rock to cycle the new tank. i'm going to wait till the amoninia and nitrite are up then add the bio spira and see what happens.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com