My SW good deed for today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got back from dropping off a cooler of frags at the LFS. They were really busy. There was a young couple that were apparently wanting to start a SW tank but all employees were busy. They must have asked a customer in there a question about it because when I saw them this guy was giving them the biggest line of bull I have ever heard. I almost interrupted to ask if the guy even had a SW tank or if he had already killed everything :? After he walked off I gave them the AA address and told them to pay us a visit for the correct info. My rant is done I just could not believe some of the crap I heard from someone who supposedly has a tank. 8O

I just could not believe some of the crap I heard from someone who supposedly has a tank.

There are lots of people that still learn all they know about SW husbandry from their LFS, in some cases that's not a bad thing, but in others it is a very bad thing.

i got into a mini arguement with one of the workers at a lfs he said its impossible for your nitrates to be 0

fight the good fight.
Its hard enough seeing the fish in those cubes than to let them go to there death in a tank that some LFS dork says will work.

I agree! There was some dude that walked up to me and my girlfriend at the LFS and asked if we had any questions or needed any help. So, being polite I said yes and asked him about some button polyps. What kind of lighting and how fast will they spread and a few other simple questions just to see if he even knew anything about SW. He told me that his friend had a SW tank and that the polyp in his friends tank were under metal halide and that they had to be under that other wise my nitrates would go through the roof! At that point I just tuned him out. I was just thinking to myself, some peoples' kids...... He could have said something like I really don't know anything about saltwater but let me get someone who does. Everytime I go in there now i just ask to talk to the person in charge of the fish dept. She's pretty cool and if she doesnt know the answer to something she'll look it up in a book or ask someone who knows. Sorry that sparked a little anger in me. Its a soft spot. :)

Personally I think that the SW fish in many a LFS would be better off in a persons home tank even if the person had no idea about SW and actualyl put the SW fish in a tank filled with FW. I am joking of course but some of the LFS that I see have lots of dead fish and clenlieness issues.

i noticed the my lfs tells lies to, if they don't know something they make it up. when i'm in their the owners know me and know that i've been in saltwater for quite awhile and they will send people over to me to ask questions which i don't mind.

I also was told once about the no cycle needed by some kid working at my lfs. he showed me bio spira for saltwater which he said would work in a day to cycle the tank. I'm actually in the process of moving a tank's occupents to another and i can't do it all at once so i was going to use live rock to cycle the new tank. i'm going to wait till the amoninia and nitrite are up then add the bio spira and see what happens.

i'm going to wait till the amoninia and nitrite are up then add the bio spira and see what happens.
Do not waste your money. I have tested it that way 3 different times. All with neg results. (PM'ed you)

I get in agruements with LFS all the time trying to buy equipments from them... I wanted to buy 2 maxijets (320GPH) for my 30G and guy at LFS said that my tank was too small + my skilter 250 provides enuf flow already... I wanted to buy some snails to graze on algae and he told me not to. I wanted to trade in my skilter 250 for a CSS125 and he suggested me getting a Prizm. I got the Prizm b/c he was older than me + he was suggesting dearly. One week later, I returned the Primz cuz it sucks and finally got the CSS125 after a few mins of agrueing 0.o

At another LFS, 2 guys working in there told me to get 2 firefishes b/c they like to live in pairs; chocolate chip starfish + camel shrimp were reef safe; flower pot was easy; blue damsels were peaceful... and all the other good stuff... :x

LFS's aren't trushworthy

Well most LFS are out to make money....PERIOD. I must brag on the LFS I take frags to though. The Vietnamese lady that runs/owns it has told people that fish are sold to keep them from buying them because they do not listen to her when she tells it is not suitable for them. She told me "he kill to many of my fish" :D

Wow what with Vietnamese peoples and pet stores :D lol. Both of the LFS i usually go to are both Vietnamese. Strange. They are taking ova the SW world! Yea, a vietnamese lady at my LFS told me not to spend too much money on a newly cycled tank... i didn't really listened then hehe. Only the owner of that store was good tho... the employees are out for my money big time.

Oh I see you are in Texas. I thought for a minute she may have been talking about you FF. :) My LFS was actually started during the depression and breed goldfish for woolworths. The founder died and passed it on to his son. I think he met his wife during the war. He is retired and now she runs the business for them.

Okay, my .02 and take all this with a grain of salt. On two recent Saturdays I recently traveled to dozens of the LFS's in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Two of the best stores were owned by asians, extremely high quality livestock and corals and crystal clear water and cleanliness. Several of the other stores were mini-chains and just sucked. You pretty much know within 5 minutes if you would buy livestock from any particular store or not. Seems to me the sole proprietorships are the best places in this hobby. I have a good one in my town, but just one.

Fast forward, my local reeef club president and friend told me about a horrendous encounter he had in Petco. A lady was interested in saltwater and had a shopping cart full of equipment, salt, tank and so forth. She asked the sales lady if she had everything she needed and then went over to pick out some fish!!!!!!!! The lady said loolks you're all set and proceeded to bag up some fish before my friend interviened. CRAP!!!!
Can this horseshit really be true? Thank goodnesss he was there.

Brenden, you did the right thing, as ignorant as I am I'll spend the time to research the animals requirements.

BTW - on rant - our local reef club president I mentioned is truly into reef conservation and coral fragging and local swap meets. More power to him. We can enjoy this incredible hobby without destroying the environment. As a matter of fact, we can preserve the reef if we become educated and cooperate.

Off rant!

My LFS was actually started during the depression and breed goldfish for woolworths. The founder died and passed it on to his son. I think he met his wife during the war. He is retired and now she runs the business for them.

LOL! That asian lady told u about her life?! That's so funny! At another vietnamese LFS, the onwer also told my dad about how his life was really bad and how he started his business. That was how my dad and him became friends. Amazing haha

Seems to me the sole proprietorships are the best places in this hobby. I have a good one in my town, but just one.

True that. I hate big LFS where most of the workers don't even know much about fishkeeping.

Back
Top Bottom