my system after 1 year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waelaase

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
here is my system after crashing for 6 times (leakage)
i need advice about position of equipment?
if i want to add sump how to connect it (no hole in tank) ?
another question
is there anyone who live in egypt? i need help where to buy staff?
thanx

thanx for fast reply

thanx for fast reply
but does this (DIY) work if i lost power and get it again
or when the water level goes below (i mean the pipes get air inside)
does it work or flood the place
thanx
and again if anyone live in egypt i need help where to buy staff
thanx

If the power goes out, you will not flood your floor. The only thing that you need to watch, is the air in the overflow pipe. If the power goes out, it doesn't mean that you would lose syphon. Hence, the air factor in hose. In regards as to where to get stuff to make your own, you can contact a local glass supplier and they can give you a price on their scraps ( of acrylic - plexi) and you'll get them pretty cheap. At my local, I can get scraps for about $5.00 for a total sq. ft. Good luck in your search.

Stacy

In the link above no, it will not lose siphon if the power goes out, I think it woks similar to a drain and a peatrap.

thanx again

thanx again
i see when power goes off the only thing will happen is the system will fill with air
but what when the power come again and i'm out
and cannot watch the system
will it move water to sump although it was filled by air
thanx for all
i need help cause i'm going to start making it this friday (week end tomorow)
thanx

If the DIY overflow will not auto start then there are plenty of hang on overflow box's that will auto start again.

I like the U tube overflows better than the Clam shell style overlfows because the U tubes dont need a powerhead to restart the syphon.

If the ends of the U tube remain under water then the U tube itself will stay full of water and the syphon will start back up when power is restored. Should power go out for such a long period that water evaporates out of the overflow so the U tube end is exposed to air and it empties then NO it wont auto start but honestly power would have to be out for days for this to happen.

The key to make sure the U tube stays full of water is to make sure the ends of the U tube remain under water. How to do this? Well on the outside portion of the overflow you should put a baffle about 1/2 way up the u tube splitting the drain area off from where the U tube will sit. This will force the area of the U tube to be 1/2 full all the time. Make sure the the U tube is long enough that the end is a couple inches below this baffle wall.

For the inside portion of the overflow make sure the box is also deep enough so that its a few inches below the outside box's baffle wall and also make sure the inside portion of the overflow's U tube is lower than the outside baffle wall. This will cause the water level in both parts of the overflow to equilize at the level of the outside baffle wall when power is out and thus the U tube remain full of water.

waelaase said:
is there anyone who live in egypt? i need help where to buy staff?

I would check with some of our sponsers. They are extremely friendly helpful people that might be willing to ship to Egypt, however shipping may be pretty expensive depending on what you are ordering. You could also try out ebay, some sellers will ship worldwide.

HTH
Chris

Back
Top Bottom