Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
Convict, I wasn't talking about just you not mentioning the mandarin, but others as well who never mentioned anything. Including any readers who never posted

As for the mandarin eating frozen - awesome. Good luck with him.
No worries. Hard to read online sometimes ya know?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlover07 View Post
What do you guys think I have a green Mandarin a tomato clown and a damsel. 1 anemone and 12 pounds of live rock

Attachment 149885
I think the anemone is bleached, +1 on the mandarin, and that tank looks barely 6 weeks old, not 6 months.
I would research the lighting to make sure it's sufficient.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I think the anemone is bleached, +1 on the mandarin, and that tank looks barely 6 weeks old, not 6 months.
I would research the lighting to make sure it's sufficient.
that's because I just recently added more live rock to the tank
Old 02-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Honestly, and please don't take this wrong, I honestly don't believe any of the fish or the anemone belong in a ten gallon. The tomato and damsel will both get to large for a ten. The mandarin may be ok if he is alone and constantly being fed but I've never heard of them being reared for long in anything close to a ten. The anemone will need strong light and good stable water parameters but having three fish with him will make keeping the water quality suitable very unlikely. I kept a ten gallon reef tank for years and they aren't as hard as some people make them out to be, but...
Old 02-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae View Post
Honestly, and please don't take this wrong, I honestly don't believe any of the fish or the anemone belong in a ten gallon. The tomato and damsel will both get to large for a ten. The mandarin may be ok if he is alone and constantly being fed but I've never heard of them being reared for long in anything close to a ten. The anemone will need strong light and good stable water parameters but having three fish with him will make keeping the water quality suitable very unlikely. I kept a ten gallon reef tank for years and they aren't as hard as some people make them out to be, but...
I respect your opinion but I strongly. disagree
Old 02-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlover07 View Post
that's because I just recently added more live rock to the tank
There is no old rock in that tank as far as I can see. You should disconnect that air line from that aquaclear power head too. You don't want bubbles in a salt tank.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have to agree with coralline... Damsels r too nasty tempered for a ten, the clown gets too big; and can get agressive too, and the nem isnt happy either....
Old 02-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

See this is the trouble with these sites and one thing I'm not a fan of. People are always there to point out something they think is wrong when they don't actually know. I would be worried about your nem but not because of lighting but because of nutrients in the water. It looks unhappy based on the picture but not because of lighting but because of water quality. So I have two points of advice that you can easily do to help solve potential issue. One make sure you do regular water changes and keep you nitrates below 20 which can be difficult in a smaller tank but you can do it! And maybe you already do. 2nd annenomes are sensitive to salinity so if the tank doesn't have an auto top off try and give it a top off daily so that the salinity stays constant and your nem should look fuller. If you ever think there may be something wrong or want to just make sure it's healthy put on a pair of gloves if you want (I don't) and just touch one of the tenticals lightly with your finger and see if its sticky. If its sticky he's ok. But by looking at him he's not ok. One thing that could be making him look tht way is the bubbles. They will stick to it and cause irritation. Bubbles in salt tanks are bad.

Good luck with the tank and as always good luck in the hobby.

Also a note on mandarins because they are my favorite fish and I have trained 3 of them to eat frozen foods. If he has an interest in all with frozen foods start weening him off pods and on to food slowly slowly slowly and when he actively come up to feed when you feed and stuffs his face you are ready to not buy $$$$ pods again lol. But if you notice him not eating frozen anymore go get pods because they will suddenly go on a frozen food hunger strike every now and then it seems.

Sadly I have to agree with mr.x in saying that clown doesn't belong in that tank along with the damsel. Now there is one thing that could change this. If you got your nem healthy an the clown started hosting it you could leave it in then tank because he won't need much room. However I'd ditch the damsel. I was lucky and got a damsel that's very sweet and you may have one to but I can tell you keeping you water quality up with those three fish is going to be a difficult task and will probably require 2 water changes a week.
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBs View Post
See this is the trouble with these sites and one thing I'm not a fan of. People are always there to point out something they think is wrong when they don't actually know. I would be worried about your nem but not because of lighting but because of nutrients in the water. It looks unhappy based on the picture but not because of lighting but because of water quality. So I have two points of advice that you can easily do to help solve potential issue. One make sure you do regular water changes and keep you nitrates below 20 which can be difficult in a smaller tank but you can do it! And maybe you already do. 2nd annenomes are sensitive to salinity so if the tank doesn't have an auto top off try and give it a top off daily so that the salinity stays constant and your nem should look fuller. If you ever think there may be something wrong or want to just make sure it's healthy put on a pair of gloves if you want (I don't) and just touch one of the tenticals lightly with your finger and see if its sticky. If its sticky he's ok.

Good looking tank and as always good luck in the hobby.

Also a note on mandarins because they are my favorite fish and I have trained 3 of them to eat frozen foods. If he has an interest in all with frozen foods start weening him off pods and on to food slowly slowly slowly and when he actively come up to feed when you feed and stuffs his face you are ready to not buy $$$$ pods again lol. But if you notice him not eating frozen anymore go get pods because they will suddenly go on a frozen food hunger strike every now and then it seems.
thanks probably most helpful post I've ever got I have a question about my Mandarin though. will Mandarins starve themselves Without eating frozen food or will they eventually give in. Because right now he's eating the frozen pods but IM worried hell stop eventually and how big of a tank would I need to grow the pods. Like a two gallon?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes to the mandarins starving themselves and I searched a lot on growing pods and you could do it in a two gal tho it is a little difficult and you'll also have to grow phytoplankton to feed the pods but that's not hard either lots of good info on the web

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com