Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CleverBs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlover07 View Post
thanks probably most helpful post I've ever got I have a question about my Mandarin though. will Mandarins starve themselves Without eating frozen food or will they eventually give in. Because right now he's eating the frozen pods but IM worried hell stop eventually and how big of a tank would I need to grow the pods. Like a two gallon?
You will never be able to grow enough pods to feed your mandarin. This is why the only mandarins that arnt trained that survive the log haul are in very large 100+ gallon reef systems that are very established and well maintained.

And yes most would rather die then ever touch frozen food. The other issue you have with them is when you are training them they need to be feed like 4 times a day because they arnt like a clown fish that will stuff it's self when you feed. They are grazers and will eat all day long and if you watch them they are like humming birds. Constantly moving and fins go very quickly meaning they burn a lot of calaries quickly. When you get them to readily except frozen they will start to eat quicker. Just like a copper banded butterfly fish. When they first start eating they will follow the frozen food around for a bit as they inspect it then finally eat it and by this time all the other food has been eaten settled or pulled out by your filtration. However when they get comfortable over time and recognize the frozen mysis as food they will begin to eat faster because they know its food and easy to catch and they don't have to sneak up on it.

Finally what helps is get cyclops shrimp to start out with. They are about the size of pods and are rich in nutrients. Feed a little at a time and let him eat one or two then do it again and do this a few times a day. Be really carful though or you will feed to much and distroy your tank. Then when he's eating cyclops well then switch to brine soaked in a vitamin enriched product. This is because a fish eating just brine is going to lack a lot of protein and vitamins because brine lack nutrients. Ones this is going smoothly you up it to mysis soaked in Vitamin supplement. This will cause the fish to be fatter and healthier. Also most of the supplements have garlic in them that will intice the fish to eat as well as boost their immune system.

And like I said not every mandarin will go for this. Iv has sucsess with 3 and failed with 4. Red and green mandarins are the most difficult. Spoted and a bit easier and scooter blennies are the easiest but still no cake walk.

Feed in a lower flow area and feed in the same spot in the tank every time. This will help it get used to eating in a specific location making it easir for you. Also get something like a turcky baster. I use a large syringe without the needle to feed because its less invasive to the fish the. Your hand in the water with the food. My mandarin comes right up to the syringe when it enters the water now.
__________________

__________________
75G SPS Bare Bottom Reef
4g Nano LPS Reef
40g Fowlr
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
you could also try live black worms. all the problem fish I have kept have loved them, and have associated them with my hand, and hence tried prepared foods I have tossed in.
I disagree with the anemone advice, because no one really knows what a creature that has no brain, is thinking.
I just touched my rose bubble tips and they didn't feel the least bit sticky.
I have no doubt they are healthy.
__________________

__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CleverBs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
you could also try live black worms. all the problem fish I have kept have loved them, and have associated them with my hand, and hence tried prepared foods I have tossed in.
I disagree with the anemone advice, because no one really knows what a creature that has no brain, is thinking.
I just touched my rose bubble tips and they didn't feel the least bit sticky.
I have no doubt they are healthy.
Hm, iv always been told that healthy nems have sticky tenticals. i revised my post after looking at the picture of the nem again. Its in need of a few things and I am sure its probably past saving to be completely honest.
__________________
75G SPS Bare Bottom Reef
4g Nano LPS Reef
40g Fowlr
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:44 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Whiplash187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBs View Post
Also a note on mandarins because they are my favorite fish and I have trained 3 of them to eat frozen foods. If he has an interest in all with frozen foods start weening him off pods and on to food slowly slowly slowly and when he actively come up to feed when you feed and stuffs his face you are ready to not buy $$$$ pods again lol. But if you notice him not eating frozen anymore go get pods because they will suddenly go on a frozen food hunger strike every now and then it seems.
.
Nice i should try doing that to save me money. But what if my mandarin doesnt like frozen pods? Should i try and try until he does eat it?
__________________
Whiplash187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:49 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CleverBs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash187 View Post
Nice i should try doing that to save me money. But what if my mandarin doesnt like frozen pods? Should i try and try until he does eat it?
frozen pods are worthless. dont even bother. keep trying it will take time its wont be over night, Took me 2 months to get my last one to eat readily.
__________________
75G SPS Bare Bottom Reef
4g Nano LPS Reef
40g Fowlr
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ingy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Comox, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,837
My LFS has trained a mandarin to eat frozen by putting a small jar on its side on the sand. It was angled slightly so the mouth was lower. Then he'd squirt the frozen into the jar and the mandarin eventually found them.
__________________
Ingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Whiplash187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBs View Post

frozen pods are worthless. dont even bother. keep trying it will take time its wont be over night, Took me 2 months to get my last one to eat readily.
Ow thanks but sometime if i make a mysis with brine shrimp eggs with vitamins to target feed my corals i see my mandarin eating brine shrimp eggs but not eating mysis, is that a good start if his eating the brine eggs?
__________________
Whiplash187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CleverBs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash187 View Post
Ow thanks but sometime if i make a mysis with brine shrimp eggs with vitamins to target feed my corals i see my mandarin eating brine shrimp eggs but not eating mysis, is that a good start if his eating the brine eggs?
yes thats why I suggested feeding cyclopes, Mandarins have very small mouths and so they will not take to mysis beings they are larger.
__________________
75G SPS Bare Bottom Reef
4g Nano LPS Reef
40g Fowlr
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Whiplash187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBs View Post

yes thats why I suggested feeding cyclopes, Mandarins have very small mouths and so they will not take to mysis beings they are larger.
yeah i got a little confuse, i thought they will take mysis too but thanks so i guess im in the right track and sorry for the misunderstanding
__________________
Whiplash187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:25 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
fishlover07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 78
Update on the tank I got rid of the damsel got stronger lighting. My Mandarin is good and stats in the front now and my clown hosted my anemone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130318_212554.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	160662
__________________

__________________
fishlover07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.