Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-05-2004, 11:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank is not "Ionically Balanced"!!

I just bought seachem reef buffer because my PH was 7.0 which I am not sure why. It says to add 1 level teaspoon to every 40 gallons of water which I have about 40 gallons total to raise the PH by 0.1 PH units. I added 2 level teaspoons to raise it by 0.2 units. On the label it says that if my water turns cloudy and stays this way for more than 15 minutes that my tank water is not Ionically Balanced. What does this mean and what should I do about this. It says to restore Ionic balance do a water change or adjust the magnesium and calcium levels to 3:1 Mg:Ca. The other problem I have is that I have really high calcium and have not been able to get it down. My alkalinity was perfect though the LFS said. I am having problems with pest algae and need to know what is the best way to get my water back to the way it is supposed to be. Water changes, supplements, what?

Joshsmit56001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 11:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I am not exactly sure, but I think the cloudyness is due to your overabundent Ca precipitating out of solution.

RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 11:21 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
What salt are you using, and how did your CA get so high? As for your ALK...perfect is a relative term. If it is not ionicly ballanced with your CA it is not perfect

Most of the time the easiest and safest way to correct an imbalance is a series of water changes.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 11:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
I use coralife salt mix, I was thinking of switching over to oceanic though
Joshsmit56001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 05:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
What are your actual test results for pH, Ca, and alk? I too would do water changes to correct a major imbalance. Also test your makeup water to be sure its not just adding to the problem. Get the chemistry close with water changes and then use product to adjust/maintain as necessary all the while testing, testing, testing...
Brad C.
jackdp is offline   Reply With Quote

bala, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com