my tank is popping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach119

Aquarium Advice Activist
somethign in the tank is popping and clicking is this the dreaded mantis shrimp if so how do i identify him and how do i coax him out of this new lr i got to get a good look at him?

It may very well me a mantis. Or a mechanical problem. If it were a mantis you swould need to buy fish trap of somesort they sell them on eBay. I think they may even have mantis traps not sure. First you need to see the dreaded mantis up close and personal!

I have had my live rock for about 1 month now. Since the day I added it, it has "popped". From my experience seeing a mantis is rare, catching one is even harder. I have positively identified 2 small mantis's in my tank (about 3/4" in length) and believe there is 1-2 more, size unknown.

As for traps/catching. Nothing has worked for my yet. I am trying the tall shot glass with food trick again tonight.

I've been trying to catch a mantis and small gorilla crab. The glass worked for 1 mantis...and also cought every other crab I have 8) .
Now the glass trap doesn't work....

my cleaner shrimp steals the bait and swims out before I can catch anything

It can be a pistol shrimp. A buddy of mine had a mantis shrimp, and we were able to catch it with the coke bottle trap. Basically take a 1 liter coke bottle, cut off the top and flip it over so it creates a funnel inside the bottle. place a raw shrimp in the bottle, and secure the lid. Lean the bottle up against the rock you think hes in. It may take a couple nights, any you will probably catch a bunch of hermits, but in time, you will catch him. You can try multiple traps, me and my buddy caught his cleaner shrimp several times, thats why i would suggest multiple traps. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom