My Things With Stings Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
amzing thank you for your help! with regards to macro algae I know that caluerpa is th ebest at exporting nutrients but also carries risks with the fact it can go a sexual. if i put a uv filter in would it kill any spore from the a sexual caulerpa and how likely is it, it would actually go a sexual?

I don't think a UV sterilizer will help with this. I have always used different types of caulerpa and haven't ever had a problem with it. That's the best I can tell you about it.

So not actually that difficult to care for and just goes a sexual rarely?

Again, I can't comment on the likelihood of it going sexual. Only that it never happened to me. I just don't let it get completely packed in the refugium and it seems to do the trick. No special care necessary, and the tangs love to eat the bubble caulerpa.
In my sump right now I have bubble, razor, and feather.

Ok I think I'll give it a go you need a substrate to plant in dont you? Are there types to avoid?

They don't necessarily need a substrate. They will attach to whatever they can. They have root-like appendages that can attach to rock or basically anything that is slightly porous.
I like bubble best, because i can feed it to the omnivores. The others must not be that palatable.

Ok so I'll try bubble I can put some sand in anyway for it how long do you light it for? Does it need specific lighting?

Yes, just like any other photosynthetic organism. A simple compact florescent bulb in a cheap home depot clip on fixture is fine. Many run the refugium lighting opposite the tank lighting to help with ph swings, but it's not horrible running it the same time as the display.

So doesn't need to be 24/7 or anything with caulerpa

I don't believe in running it 24 hours a day because I feel anything living in the refugium will need a night time period. As I said, I haven't had any problems with sexual events doing things this way, but others may have opposing views.

Just got couple more weeks before can get some stock in there buzzing to get on with it now!

Attachments

• image-1421437881.jpg
    image-1421437881.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 193
  • image-2113268747.jpg
    image-2113268747.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 202
I have added some more found some nice pieces at lfs today! Think it still needs more or just more in the sump?

Attachments

• image-3422583617.jpg
    image-3422583617.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 191
With background too

Attachments

• image-2632471283.jpg
    image-2632471283.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 186
As long as there are plenty of places to hide I think you'll be ok. That and a large amount of surface area for bacteria.

Yeah should be hiding places and will be putting more rock in the sump over time just do t want to eat into swimming space too much

As long as there is enough room for a volitan to turn and enough filtration to cope with one would there be any issues putting one in here?

Back
Top Bottom