My wrasse has been under the sand for 48 hours now....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EELectric

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had my red coris wrasse in my tank for 48 hours now and it has still not came out from under the sand. I checked my nitrites/nitrates last night and they tested low. Is this normal for the red coris wrasse to stay under the sand so long? Is there anything I can do to see if its all right? Has anyone had experience with this happening before? Please Help!!!

when you say low Nitrites/Nitrates, how low? Also, if it's still like that for a week then you sould start using sometype of garlic in your food or feed them live brine in order to get them to eat. it's normal for them to dig themselves under the sand.

You know that 20PPM, is the highest your nitrates sould be for a fish only tank. How is your lighting system, since my wrasse will never come out of thier hiding spot under atinic lighting since they think it's still night time, but when my daylights turn on. they are swimming everywhere. Also, I read that they are not that hardy and feed primarely on the following:

The Red Coris Wrasse feeds mostly on shelled mollusks in the wild including hermit crabs, urchins, crabs, and occasionally tunicates. Aquarium specimens should have meaty items, vitamin-enriched shrimp, and brine shrimp three times daily.

I usually get hard to feed fish to start eating either by live brine soaked in selcon, Cyclop-eeze or Frozen food soaked in Garlic. If any of these don't work, I don't know what to say since it has worked for me.

Fishboy-from-NY said:
The Red Coris Wrasse feeds mostly on shelled mollusks in the wild including hermit crabs, urchins, crabs, and occasionally tunicates. Aquarium specimens should have meaty items, vitamin-enriched shrimp, and brine shrimp three times daily.
Very uncharacteristic of this species. They are actually quite docile for a wrasse and unless extremely large are no threat to most invertebrates. They are however avid pod hunters and will forage about the rocks for most of the photoperiod.

I have kept two in my time (have one now) and they will definately hide for a day or two if spooked. Juveniles are especially difficult in adapting to captive care. They are best purchased midway to just after the change to adult coloration. Most (but not all) juvi's rarely survive long.

The garlic added to the foods is a good idea though. It will help with a feeding response just don't use too much or it will confuse the senses. Also be sure you do nothing to disturb the substrate while it's under. It will prolong the time it takes to acclimate the fish and could possibley cause it to never come back out.

Cheers
Steve

Well I have 50/50 lighting and I feed them Formula 1 and Formula 2 for my coral beuaty. On the box of Formula 1 it said it had 2% garlic. Should I add more? How long should I wait till I should start worring about my wrasse.

It will take a bit of time for the wrasse to accept foods like that but not right away. You need to get a meaty source like mysis, brine (temporarily) or make your own mush. The wrasse still needs meaty foods but will accept flake soon enough.

The garlic in the food you have now will not have the same pungent odor as an extract or oil would so it will not work in the same fashion. If you have some fresh garlic at home, just crush that and let it sit in a small cup of tank water for an hour or so to allow the oils to mingle. You can then either remove the garlic and add the meat or just add the meat and let it sit a few more hours...

Just before your ready too feed, take about ¼ tspn (or less) of the garlic water and dribble it in a high flow area of the tank. The odor should hopefully bring the wrasse out so when the food is released it won't miss out. Just be sure the garlic clove or any bits do not go in the tank.

Cheers
Steve

I use a product called garlic guard by seachem that I"ve been very happy with. My fish seem to love it. I add a small amount to a paper cup then a few drips of either selcon, zoe, or vita-chem. Then in goes the food and soaks for a few minutes. Dump the cup in the tank and the fish go crazy.

I live Steve's idea about dripping some in a high flow area to get him excited and ready to eat :D

Garic Guard is great since it also contains vitamin c for color enhancement. It's true that you need to get them to eat either live food or frozen like brine, mysis in order to work them into pellets later.

My yellow wrasse hid for 3-4 days and then popped out one day....dont worry he will come out in his own time. But when he does and you approach the tank, he might bury himself again....they are skiddish at first for sure.

OK thanks I just wanted to tell you that my wrasse came out for about a hour today and he seamed healthy and was eating. Thanks for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom