My xenias outta control!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rthoman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20 gallon tank and my xenia is determined to take over most of it. I have a 10 and a 20 gallon tank, and I was thinking about setting one up to put the xenia in. I have already sold some to a LFS for 25 bucks store credit. I am planning on trying to sell or trade this xenia. I don't want to put to much money into this tank. I was just wondering on how I should set it up as far lighting, water flow. I plan on getting a few small peices of LR and position them next to the establish xenia covered rocks. I also plan on adding some mushrooms as they are multiplying like crazy as well. Well enough rambling on now, anything anyone can say to help would be great. Is this a good idea or not?

I will post pics as soon as I get it set up. I have the water ready, now i'm looking for cheap lighting. Should I even put a substate in it?

I would put aragonite in as substrate, due to the fact that it helps buffer the calcium level. Which would be good for the corals.

Don't be afraid to pull out whole stalks and flush it. Xenia has been known to crash suddenly when allowed to grow out of control. It actually does better with occasional pruning. Don't worry about giving it away, it will all grow back and then some. I have thrown out at least as much as I have growing now (and I have a HUGE colony). I heard it doesn't ship well but I am going to do an experiment with another board member when the weather warms up.

I just pitched 2 large sections that were starting on a rock I would rather keep clean. I moved some small rocks near it to let it grow on them so it is easier to get rid of. Mine grows like weeds but I have heard it is difficult to ship and the fish stores are not that interested around here. $25 dollars credit is great.... I think $5 is all I could get from some of the yahoos around here.

I got the tank set up. I put some xenia and a few mushrooms in. They are all doing great.

you have a gold mine there, if your lfs will keep giving you credit for xenia take it while you can. you could buy a pc for your tank, and other things you need. my lfs gave me$20 credit or $15 cash for 1 stalk.heck he even gave me the small rock toput it on. only takes 3 days to completly move on over.i sold over 100 stalks from my mommy xenia.

I just made a deal with the one lfs to buy a bunch today. I paid 10 bucks for my xenia months ago. I already sold some for 25 bucks. So all I get from it now is pure profit.

mine is always looking.i just got a 6pk xenia from my lfs. i'm going to try this again,heck i got a bigger tank now. 8)

Back
Top Bottom