Mysterious Deaths!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for more feedback. The office building and business is family owned, cleaned by family- my cousins- they're very aware to not use windex type cleaning products on the tank, or to touch it at all, actually. It's possible it was a power outage, but also unlikely, again, since it's also a family owned business and I manage the network, I would have gotten an alert that power was out from our server, and the house I live in is on the same grid as our office (about 2 minutes away) so I would have lost it at home as well.

I'm really leaning towards the parasite theory, and will go without fish for awhile longer before adding. As far as a quarantine, admittedly I do not have one set up, nor do I QT. Please don't flame me for this. Please. I am aware of the benefits of doing this. I am looking into setting this up now for future additions. Thanks.

If it was parasites, I would have thought there would be some visible evidence.

Remember, in a small system, even something as simple as hand lotion, or residual soap on your hands can kill everything.

That is a valid point too. I can't think of anything I had done over the weekend or during the day that Monday, it was a week ago so I can't remember exactly. So far water param's are great, shrimp, crabs & snails all still happy; and same with the corals. I'll be continuing my regular water changes even while fish less.

I did inspect the fish once I removed them- there were no markings on their bodies. I may never know what killed them.

ps- with going fish less for a few weeks- do I have to worry about cycle issues again? Or does having the corals and CUC still in there keep things with the BB going?

Since only fish were affected and wiped out without affecting corals and inverts, I am also convinced that Marine Velvet parasite is the culprit. It can kill fish overnight.

Since only fish were affected and wiped out without affecting corals and inverts, I am also convinced that Marine Velvet parasite is the culprit. It can kill fish overnight.

That was my initial reaction. Marine velvet can wipe out a tank pretty quickly. It happened to me.

Matt... Sometimes QT your tank inhabitants help. I know sometimes it's hard to do... I won't beat ya up over it. :) I had to learn the hard way though... Personally, I prefer to QT. Doesn't mean it's for everybody. there has been people who have gotten by without QT their tank inhabitants and have thriving aquariums. So it can be done! :)

Enjoying picking your new fish out!

Thanks for the feedback, I wish their were fish autopsies, lol, that'd help a lot. :) I'm just trying to figure out where to set up a QT, I have this tank in our office so it's just finding another place.

Back
Top Bottom