Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2014, 09:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Mysterious Deaths!

Hey all! I've been a lurker on this site since November, when I first started my build! The info on this site has been priceless!

So, my dilemma. My tank has been set up and running since mid-November, in my office at work. It has been an awesome learning experience, and I love that you HAVE to go slow because there is so much to learn! This past Tuesday morning I walked in to all of my fish being dead. ALL of my tests have never shown any amounts to speak of.

Quick tank specs, 75GAL RRw/ R-100 fuge. 1" sand bed, 70LB of live rock, RO/DI water for changes, Reef Crystals salt. Temp is always a steady 78-79 degrees, 1.025 SG.

It was stocked with:
(2) Occelaris Clown Fish
(1) Royal Gramma (who I believe was a bully)
(1) Flame Angel
(1) Blue Hippo Tang (I know my tank is too small, but he's a small guy, and is planned to be moved along)
(1) Yellow Clown Goby

All dead Tuesday- they were alive at 8PM on Monday night. I had the LFS come in and do testing on Tuesday (I regularly bring samples to them) and there was an elevated level of ammonia (.10ppm or less, likely due to die off) and same with nitrates. No abnormal fish behavior, no new additions to the tank for about a month, and at that it's been coral.

All of my coral survived (Green star polyp, pipe organ, duncan, zoo's) and also my two cleaner shrimp, emerald crabs and nassrius snails. LFS thinks perhaps parasite that hosted on the fish- so we're going fish less for 7-10 days to give the parasite time to die off. Did a 20 GAL water change Tuesday, will test and do another if necessary.

Any thoughts?

Old 03-19-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, next time, please don't buy a fish based on upgrades. We never know what life might throw at us.

Now to the main issue. I'm not completely sure, though a parasite is a possibility. Hmm... Well... If someone else chimes in it may help me think straighter.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some ammonia could have killed them but if it was a parasite you would need to wait 6-8 weeks for it to die off not ten days. Marine velvet can kill that quickly and I think if it was ich you would have seen symptoms earlier...
Old 03-19-2014, 10:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Right, the tank must sit 6-8 weeks vacant to let the parasite die off. If/when you find out the parasite, and decide to dose copper, make sure no inhabitants are in the tank, and it is cleaned thoroughly after.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Did any if the fish show any abnormal spots before or after dying? If it were ich or velvet you would see something on the fish. How do you QT your new livestock?
Old 03-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the suggestions! Nothing abnormal beforehand- other than some bullying of the flame angel by the Royal Gramma (I won't be getting another Royal Gramma- they're bullies!)

I will wait and see how things go in the next few weeks.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Royal Gramma and Bully aren't synonyms...! Haha, they are normally very shy fish.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

My royal gramma gets beat up in my tank lol. He wouldn't hurt a fly
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The tank in your office, may be in a comercial building...Check if someone has applied some kind o insecticide. it happened to me long ago.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Breakthecycle2
You should start pointing the finger at the office cleaning staff. Guaranteed they sprayed something.

Tags
death, deaths, eat, rio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com