Myth or Truth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeathWarp

Aquarium Advice Freak
This may be an odd question, so bare with me. I have a 65gal aquar. already up and running, but I was going to start up my 29gal. just to have something extra. Now... I was told that urinating into a new tank will acctually aid in properly cycling the tank. Human urine has some sort of benificial bacteria within it, that aids the tank in a quick cycle. I am laughing quite histerically while writting this, but this is an honest question. Is this true? Or is this simply one heck of a strange myth.
:D

Any natural source of ammonia will aid in the cycling process. It does not contain any bacteria that is beneficial to your tank, it is simply a source of ammonia to kick start the cycle. I'm not saying anyone should do it, and there is no benefit to it over trowing a raw table shrimp in the tank, but it would work.

If you think rotting shrimp stinks, wait to you get a wif of week old urine. :lol: Besides depending on the person you may infect your fish with herpegonoriffalus. :lol:

Don't think by any means that I will acctually attempt such a feat. For some reason, attempting to stand carefully on a table; while aiming into a tank just seems wrong to me. I just wasn't really sure if I could believe such a thing. I'd imagine the amonia would help and all, but I would imagine you would need to wait quite a while before acctually adding fish due to the other things present in urine.

Just a thought from someone who used to do janitorial work, and now works in the medical field!

There may be waste in the urine that will get your cycle started, but urine is also full of salt and protein that stain tile, and depending on your body chemistry and whether or not you are getting ill, could be full of sugars, blood, bacteria, etc....and then yes, there is also the smell! :)

It is quite possible it might work well, but I wouldn't recommend it! hehe! :)

That just seems wrong.

I wouldn't just because you'd always be thinking about your pee floating around in there. And when you went to syphon out water for a PWC...well, you'd be thinking twice about doing the #1 into the tank to begin with.

lol, I'm so intrigued with this idea I wanted to test it but wasn't game to try on my tank...so I jumped the fence and urinated in the neighbours pond. Is that wrong?

( Note by Katie) This was a fact that our boss at work (petsmart) told me. He just suddenly told me ,(when i told him I was getting impatient waiting for the tank to be ready to put stuff in it), to pee in my tank..i don't know if i would really be able to live in a house with pee in a tank :S Just the thought of that vapourating in the air *shudders*. Couldn't bring myself to place a fish or anything in something that was peed in..Just seems cruel.. not to mention just plain discusting.. But hey it's a fact we didnt' know right .. If we can call it a fact.

Katie

One interesting fact that not a lot of people know... unless you have some sort of urinary tract infection, urine is completely sterile. So it definately wouldnt have any "beneficial bacteria" but the whole ammonia thing would work.

Its kinda funny when you think about the fact that everyone thinks urine is so dirty and nasty and its actually completely sterile... the issue is after it has left the body, it contains a lot of waste in which bacteria will thrive if given the chance.

Cool. And here I was feeling guilty all these years about This portion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the User Agreement. Further violations of the User Agreement could result in removal from our community. in the ocean...I was just feeding the reef...

yea, I read some kind of article a little while ago written by one of the typical uninformed eco freaks... complaining about the cruising industry dumping however many lbs of human waste into the ocean each year. I just sat back and wondered how this person honestly thinks that it has some horrible effects on such an enormous ecosystem which, in theory will readily consume extra waste, that will slowly be absorbed through the food chain, and possibly help it as a whole. (bacteria eats poo, other stuff eats bacteria... and so on)

People, please remember that altering a word to bypass the word filter is STILL a violation of the user agreement.

Back
Top Bottom