Nano Reef Lighting Question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Tex

Aquarium Advice Addict
so im looking at two options here for my 29g not-so-nano bedroom reef, im either going to get Par38 lighting or a dimmable led fixture, which would be the best bet? keep in mind this is going in my bedroom so i have nowhere to hang a fixture nor do i want it to be so bright i cant wait movies in the dark of my room, ill be doing simple corals like zoas and mushrooms, maybe a torch or hammer, etc between these 2, i would either get a single dimmable or a pair of par38 fixtures, or what do you guys recommend me for my 29g..? thanks in advance guys!

Aquarium LED PAR38 Bulb 15W Actinic Blue 10K 14k White w Clamp Mount Gooseneck | eBay

120W LED Aquarium Light Dimmable White Blue Reef Coral Fish Tank Marine Lamp New | eBay

I got my four in today and they are supper bright putting my three metal halides to shame. They are only $118 per panel and the same as the Tao sets. I have all four over my 210 now and letting my anemone acclimate to these lights now. BTW it's awesome to change the look of the tank at will. I can go anywhere from a 10k to a full actinic in seconds lol. The seller is on eBay his name is supermart168

Attachments

• image-3926592279.jpg
    image-3926592279.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 73
  • image-1334454140.jpg
    image-1334454140.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 92
  • image-3699681766.jpg
    image-3699681766.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 86
You'll only need one for a 29 gallon. And they come with the hanging kit for free.

dang it tim! thats tempting but my landlady will kill me if i go drilling in the rafters lol could you weight one for me? i have some drywall anchors i jusy wanna know what the fixture weights cords and all,

edit: i found it on ebay, watching it now, and its 8lbs..! yikes!

Last edited:
About 8-9 pounds. Set mine up last night. Installed a 16" deep shelf above the tank and then hung the lights from that. Shelf anchored in the studs.

About 8-9 pounds. Set mine up last night. Installed a 16" deep shelf above the tank and then hung the lights from that. Shelf anchored in the studs.

pics..? i have shelf mounts matter of fact :facepalm:

could build a simple frame for it
I mounted mine on my wood frame stand I built with flag pole mounts

you can use 1x1 square wood stock or a round closet dowel like I did
you can make the stand section out of a 2x3 stud build it into a A frame
it's a fairly inexpensive project and easy to build No rocket science involved
the black tape on top of frame was to keep it steady as I mounted the flag pole mounts it 's not a part of it any more lol

img_2683280_0_dd1e0aee471cbaec2eb23bb5f1d74f2c.jpg

could build a simple frame for it
I mounted mine on my wood frame stand I built with flag pole mounts you can use 1x1 square wood stock or a round closet dowel like I did
you can make the stand section out of a 2x3 stud build it into a A frame
it's a fairly inexpensive project and easy to build No rocket science involved
the black tape on top of frame was to keep it steady as I mounted the flag pole mounts it 's not a part of it any more lol

sorry the wifes said it had to be stylish lol

nice find, i found these as other options, and a little cheaper too

Shop allen + roth 1.6-in W x 16-in D Natural Wood Closet Wood Bracket at Lowes.com=

Shop Style Selections 36-in Wood Wall Mounted Shelving at Lowes.com=

Shop allen + roth 30-in Wood Wall Mounted Shelving at Lowes.com=

It can be built and painted to be stylish it's all about imagination
once it's painted black it isn't as noticable
hence the black frame under my 40b it's almost invisable

It can be built and painted to be stylish it's all about imagination
once it's painted black it isn't as noticable
hence the black frame under my 40b it's almost invisable

i get that, and its almost invisible because your phone is focused on the lighting from the tank and not the background, especially not that low, and i was talking about the pvc pipes.

Yeah my mounting options had to be wife approved "stylish" as well. turned out well. The shelf color matches rest of our furniture scheme. Also had to be deep enough for the lights. Lucked out when we found this shelf last night. More than I wanted to spend but wife approved so who am I to complain.

Yeah my mounting options had to be wife approved "stylish" as well. turned out well. The shelf color matches rest of our furniture scheme. Also had to be deep enough for the lights. Lucked out when we found this shelf last night. More than I wanted to spend but wife approved so who am I to complain.

lol ive got her looking at lowes and target right now as we speak, shes finding all the expensive floating shelf systems :facepalm:

Not sure about the floating shelves. I wouldn't count on them to hold much weight at the end.

Also, I got the same lights from the same seller as Tkey. Ordered on Thursday and arrived Monday. They are super bright. only problem is they are blinding when looking at tank from couch(looking slightly up). And that is blue only on lowest setting. Might have to make some kind of artificial canopy facade.

Not sure about the floating shelves. I wouldn't count on them to hold much weight at the end.

Also, I got the same lights from the same seller as Tkey. Ordered on Thursday and arrived Monday. They are super bright. only problem is they are blinding when looking at tank from couch(looking slightly up). And that is blue only on lowest setting. Might have to make some kind of artificial canopy facade.

That's what I'm afraid of the tank is about 2ft higher than my head from bed movie watching level lol

That's what I'm afraid of the tank is about 2ft higher than my head from bed movie watching level lol
Build a canopy for it. That's what I did on my 210 and you'll be surprised the difference it makes on the tank. Paint the inside white to reflect the light into the tank and color match the outside to your house. They are very very very bright. Like I said they are brighter than my 3 bulb 250 watt MH fixture with 4 96 watt power compacts. BUT I do have four of them on my tank lol. Shimmer isn't what I thought it would be but I'll live. The fans aren't quite as loud as I expected. But TEX I would not plan on being able to sleep with it running lol

Build a canopy for it. That's what I did on my 210 and you'll be surprised the difference it makes on the tank. Paint the inside white to reflect the light into the tank and color match the outside to your house. They are very very very bright. Like I said they are brighter than my 3 bulb 250 watt MH fixture with 4 96 watt power compacts. BUT I do have four of them on my tank lol. Shimmer isn't what I thought it would be but I'll live. The fans aren't quite as loud as I expected. But TEX I would not plan on being able to sleep with it running lol

I sleep with a fan almost in my face on high at night in think I can take 3 little 6v fans lol and I can imagine how bright they are without a canopy but my tank is on a dresser (solid oak) and I think it will be hard to replicate the stain.

Then just go with a flat black on the outside and gloss white inside. It will look good. I just left the top open, put a piece of glad I had cut over the top (my 6ft x 25" piece was only $35 with polished edges) I left the back of the canopy open to let the heat and stale air escape. For the glass top I painted the whole top side with 10 coats of black plastidip, laid out my fixtures and used a razor blade to cut out the right size patern then peel it off to make a clear window. :) it worked out great since if I ever need to get something big in or out I just pull the glass off. But the front opens for everyday cleaning and feeding.

This will show how much a canopy changes the focus of the tank. This is with only two of my four running since my anemones kept closing up when I'd turn all four on so I'm acclimating them now. But the room gets flooded with light when the canopy is opened especially since my canopy is about 6' from the floor to the top. I can only imagine what it would be like in a bedroom trying to sleep or nap lol

Attachments

• image-1501861624.jpg
    image-1501861624.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 87
  • image-1370318690.jpg
    image-1370318690.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 83
I was thinking a u shaped "canopy" that just extends the aquarium walls up so light doesn't spill out front or sides.

Back
Top Bottom