Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Kristy3693's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 460
Zoos are awesome! Yup, we have two dogs and two tanks.
__________________

__________________
Kristy3693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
SWSCJ's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Posts: 475
My 8" Blonde Naso.

1 of 9 tangs in my 450g
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-271531363.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	170328  
__________________

__________________
SWSCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
MarinaClown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA
Posts: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWSCJ View Post
My 8" Blonde Naso.

1 of 9 tangs in my 450g
Awesome looking tang. Could you tell me about your routine maintenance?
__________________
60 Gallon SPS dominated reef tank.
MarinaClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
MarinaClown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA
Posts: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristy3693 View Post
Zoos are awesome! Yup, we have two dogs and two tanks.
Very cool!
__________________
60 Gallon SPS dominated reef tank.
MarinaClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
SWSCJ's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Posts: 475
Maintenance for the tangs or tank? And here's a print out for tangs....


Surgeonfish (tangs) are easily one of the more popular and recognizable marine fish. Most tangs are primarily herbivorous, roaming the open coastal reef while browsing for vegetation. These very active swimmers cover huge expanses of the reef while feeding.

Many species of tang adapt readily to aquarium life, and can safely be added to a a reef tank. The goal of a responsible aquarist is to provide the optimum environment for the inhabitants of our piece of the ocean. While an optimum environment may never be achieved, the Team RC community has compiled a list of minimum aquarium sizes for the various species of tangs commonly offered to aquarists.

These recommendations are based on the experiences of a myriad of aquarists, both real-life experiences and through observation in the ocean. They are based on the goal of providing an environment that matches the active nature, feeding regimens and growth rates of the tang. If this goal is met, the reward to the aquarist (and more importantly the fish) is long-term health and beauty in the tank.

It must be remembered that tank size is only one factor in the equation. It should be a "given" that the tank provides adequate mature rockwork for grazing, aquascaping that provides both hiding/resting spaces and allows for straight-line swimming in open water, and tank mates that are compatible.


Min Volume
Min Length
Species
Common Name
(gallons)
(feet)
Acanthurus achilles1
Achilles Surgeonfish
180
6
Acanthurus coeruleus
Atlantic Blue Tang
125
6
Acanthurus japonicus
Powder Brown Tang
125
6
Acanthurus leucosternon2
Powder Blue Tang
125
6
Acanthurus lineatus2
Lined or Clown Surgeonfish
240
8
Acanthurus nigricans
Whitecheek Surgeonfish
125
6
Acanthurus olivaceus
Orangeshoulder Surgeonfish
180
6
Acanthurus pyroferus
Mimic Surgeonfish
75
4
Acanthurus sohal2
Sohal Surgeonfish
350
10
Acanthurus triostegus
Convict Surgeonfish
125
6
Acanthurus tristis
Indian Mimic Surgeonfish
75
4
Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis
Chevron Tang
100
5
Ctenochaetus striatus
Striated Bristletooth Tang
75
4
Ctenochaetus strigosus
Kole's Tang
75
4
Ctenochaetus tominiensis
Tomini Tang
75
4
Naso brevirostris
Spotted Unicornfish
350
10
Naso lituratus
Orangespine Unicornfish or Naso Tang
240
8
Naso unicornis
Bluespine Unicornfish
350
10
Naso vlamingii
Vlamingi Tang
350
10
Paracanthurus hepatus3
Pacific Blue or Regal or Hippo Tang
240
8
Zebrasoma desjardinii
Indian Ocean or Red Sea Sailfin Tang
240
8
Zebrasoma flavescens
Yellow Tang
100
5
Zebrasoma scopas
Brown Tang
75
4
Zebrasoma veliferum
Sailfin Tang
240
8
Zebrasoma xanthurum2
Purple Tang
120
5

1 The Achilles Surgeonfish requires a very high flow level, and can pose even more health and feeding problems than other tangs.
2 These species can be exceptionally aggressive, and require careful planning.
3 These species are especially prone to infections, and should be watched very carefully in quarantine.[


__________________
Jonathan Bertoni
__________________
SWSCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
MarinaClown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA
Posts: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWSCJ View Post
Maintenance for the tangs or tank? And here's a print out for tangs....

Surgeonfish (tangs) are easily one of the more popular and recognizable marine fish. Most tangs are primarily herbivorous, roaming the open coastal reef while browsing for vegetation. These very active swimmers cover huge expanses of the reef while feeding.

Many species of tang adapt readily to aquarium life, and can safely be added to a a reef tank. The goal of a responsible aquarist is to provide the optimum environment for the inhabitants of our piece of the ocean. While an optimum environment may never be achieved, the Team RC community has compiled a list of minimum aquarium sizes for the various species of tangs commonly offered to aquarists.

These recommendations are based on the experiences of a myriad of aquarists, both real-life experiences and through observation in the ocean. They are based on the goal of providing an environment that matches the active nature, feeding regimens and growth rates of the tang. If this goal is met, the reward to the aquarist (and more importantly the fish) is long-term health and beauty in the tank.

It must be remembered that tank size is only one factor in the equation. It should be a "given" that the tank provides adequate mature rockwork for grazing, aquascaping that provides both hiding/resting spaces and allows for straight-line swimming in open water, and tank mates that are compatible.

Min Volume
Min Length
Species
Common Name
(gallons)
(feet)
Acanthurus achilles1
Achilles Surgeonfish
180
6
Acanthurus coeruleus
Atlantic Blue Tang
125
6
Acanthurus japonicus
Powder Brown Tang
125
6
Acanthurus leucosternon2
Powder Blue Tang
125
6
Acanthurus lineatus2
Lined or Clown Surgeonfish
240
8
Acanthurus nigricans
Whitecheek Surgeonfish
125
6
Acanthurus olivaceus
Orangeshoulder Surgeonfish
180
6
Acanthurus pyroferus
Mimic Surgeonfish
75
4
Acanthurus sohal2
Sohal Surgeonfish
350
10
Acanthurus triostegus
Convict Surgeonfish
125
6
Acanthurus tristis
Indian Mimic Surgeonfish
75
4
Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis
Chevron Tang
100
5
Ctenochaetus striatus
Striated Bristletooth Tang
75
4
Ctenochaetus strigosus
Kole's Tang
75
4
Ctenochaetus tominiensis
Tomini Tang
75
4
Naso brevirostris
Spotted Unicornfish
350
10
Naso lituratus
Orangespine Unicornfish or Naso Tang
240
8
Naso unicornis
Bluespine Unicornfish
350
10
Naso vlamingii
Vlamingi Tang
350
10
Paracanthurus hepatus3
Pacific Blue or Regal or Hippo Tang
240
8
Zebrasoma desjardinii
Indian Ocean or Red Sea Sailfin Tang
240
8
Zebrasoma flavescens
Yellow Tang
100
5
Zebrasoma scopas
Brown Tang
75
4
Zebrasoma veliferum
Sailfin Tang
240
8
Zebrasoma xanthurum2
Purple Tang
120
5

1 The Achilles Surgeonfish requires a very high flow level, and can pose even more health and feeding problems than other tangs.
2 These species can be exceptionally aggressive, and require careful planning.
3 These species are especially prone to infections, and should be watched very carefully in quarantine.[

__________________
Jonathan Bertoni
Thanks. Meant your tank. Maintenance routine and such.
__________________
60 Gallon SPS dominated reef tank.
MarinaClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:55 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
MarinaClown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA
Posts: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaClown View Post
LFS has a Tomini Tang for sale. It's been there for 3-4 weeks now. Poor guy is in a tank with several foxfaces and yellow tang. His color is completely faded. There is no LR for him to graze on. Bottom line: poor little guy.

I wanted to buy him as a rescue to hold him in 40 breeder till the upgrade in July but decided against it. Just couldn't see a tangs in my tank although a lot of people QT them in tanks as small as 10 gallons for months.

Hope he finds a good home.
Believe or not this Tomini Tang was still at the fish store. I felt bad so I brought him home. He had been there too long in terrible environment. A classified ad has been posted so please check it out. Small re-homing fee applies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-6179771.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	192550
Attached Images
 
__________________

__________________
60 Gallon SPS dominated reef tank.
MarinaClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
naso, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.