Naso Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was just doing a routine "look in the tank and make sure everyone is ok" type check and I noticed the Naso tang was wedges rather peculiarly between some live rock. It appeared to be breathing heavily, so I got my husband to help me net it to put in a quarantine tank for further observation. The netting went well..put him in a 5 gallon bucket, it then proceeded to panic and smack itself against the side and flop over dead.
.................bout ready to give up......................no, not really, but my husband was commenting on how many guppies we could raise in a 175 gallon tank.

Guppies? GUPPIES!?! Nah...you'd never do that. Sorry to hear about the tang though. Any ideas as to what might have been wrong? Water tests come out OK?

phosphates are high..other than that, all is in normal range. This is also the tank that the bacterial infections are happening on the serpent stars. As a side note to that, they are dieing and multiplying at the same time..a friend came over and noticed a super tiny serpent star on the sand when just the actinics were on, I am talking thread size legs and a pinhead size disk, but the bands are noticeable so it is banded serpent stars. I find it odd that whatever is wrong is not so wrong that they wont have babies, yet the disks are being eaten out.

Hara said:

Thats what I was guessing. I've read a few similar stories on some of the other boards and talked to a couple people locally who have had the same experience with Naso's recently. Everything is fine for 5-6 months and then the fish becomes shy and wastes away or mysteriously dies. I don't have an explanation as to why though, sorry for your loss.

thanks for the input, and welcome to the boards! The death of the Naso was the beginning of me losing the entire contents of my tank this week. Last night, the sailfin died and now there is only the snowflake eel left. Theories abound as to what the cause was/is, but nothing that is definitely confirmable.

Hara, I must say you are most likely the most determined person I have ever met. I hope you learn from whatever the mistake was and never do it again. I know you wont quit.

d9hp said:
Hara, I must say you are most likely the most determined person I have ever met.

most say stubborn, I like determined better :)

I hope you learn from whatever the mistake was and never do it again. I know you wont quit

ouch. :? I am hoping it is not anything that I "did"...no "mistake" I made.
As for learning from it, first I would have to know the cause.
I am not quitting, that is for sure.

Well, you can never know the benefits of success without knowledge of failure. Now you have knowledge of failure (or just a werid occurance) so I would guess success is gonna be awesome.

it's pretty tough to go through something like that... a few months back I lost a lionfish, a king angel, an imperator angel, an emperor snapper, and a sailfin tang in one week's time. never did figure out what happened...just seems to be part of the hobby

Back
Top Bottom