Naso Tang color at night....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

born2chill

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think I remember reading that these tangs will change color depending on the mood they are in. Whenever I am doing any work inside my QT tank, my Naso starts to get white around the belly and will even get white spots on his body. His fins also stand up. I also notice that when I turn the lights in the room at night I will notice these white spots on him as well. It is definitely not ich as these spots are from the pigment of the naso's body and are also large. I was wondering if anyone else that has a Naso or any closely related tang has observed similar behavior. After a few minutes his color turns back to mormal and his color is always normal during tank daylight hours.

It was a pain to get him eating the first 3 or 4 days, but he has seemd to take a liking to formula 1 flake food soaked in galic guard, zoecon, and sometimes phytoplankton. He has been eating for the past week and eating really well for the past 3 days. Today I noticed that he pooped an excessive amount. The poop was green and was more than I have ever seen a fish poop at a single time. Just want to make sure all of these observations are normal. TIA

I know the yellow tangs go nearly white at night and don't color up until the lights come back on. Do you have some form of algae sheets or nori for him to graze on? I'm assuming you don't have any algae in the tank set up since it's a qt. Get a clip and keep sheet algae for him to graze throughout the day.

Yeah my yellow tang turns a bit pale at night, but its not as drastic as the Naso. I just assume he is ok since he has been acting this way for the past 2 weeks. My Naso is in the tank by himself so he shouldn't be too stressed. I have fed him some nori, but I guess I will leave some attached to a clip for him to munch on throughout the day as you suggested.

Back
Top Bottom