Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2005, 03:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to born2chill
Naso Tang color at night....

I think I remember reading that these tangs will change color depending on the mood they are in. Whenever I am doing any work inside my QT tank, my Naso starts to get white around the belly and will even get white spots on his body. His fins also stand up. I also notice that when I turn the lights in the room at night I will notice these white spots on him as well. It is definitely not ich as these spots are from the pigment of the naso's body and are also large. I was wondering if anyone else that has a Naso or any closely related tang has observed similar behavior. After a few minutes his color turns back to mormal and his color is always normal during tank daylight hours.

It was a pain to get him eating the first 3 or 4 days, but he has seemd to take a liking to formula 1 flake food soaked in galic guard, zoecon, and sometimes phytoplankton. He has been eating for the past week and eating really well for the past 3 days. Today I noticed that he pooped an excessive amount. The poop was green and was more than I have ever seen a fish poop at a single time. Just want to make sure all of these observations are normal. TIA

60 lbs aragonite sand
2 maxijet 1200 powerheads
Eheim 2026 Professional II Canister Filter
Aquac Remora Pro skimmer
300 watt heater
yellow tang, Large Blue Hippo Tang, Tomato clown, yellow watchman goby, royal gramma, 10 scarlet hermit crabs, 7 Mex. turbo snails,
2 peppermint shrimp, 10 nas. snails
large candy cane, supercolored zoos.

30 gal QT
2 penguin 200B HOT filters
150 watt heater
maxijet 600 ph
Bicolor Angel, Clown Tang
born2chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know the yellow tangs go nearly white at night and don't color up until the lights come back on. Do you have some form of algae sheets or nori for him to graze on? I'm assuming you don't have any algae in the tank set up since it's a qt. Get a clip and keep sheet algae for him to graze throughout the day.

http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 01:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to born2chill
Yeah my yellow tang turns a bit pale at night, but its not as drastic as the Naso. I just assume he is ok since he has been acting this way for the past 2 weeks. My Naso is in the tank by himself so he shouldn't be too stressed. I have fed him some nori, but I guess I will leave some attached to a clip for him to munch on throughout the day as you suggested.
60 lbs aragonite sand
2 maxijet 1200 powerheads
Eheim 2026 Professional II Canister Filter
Aquac Remora Pro skimmer
300 watt heater
yellow tang, Large Blue Hippo Tang, Tomato clown, yellow watchman goby, royal gramma, 10 scarlet hermit crabs, 7 Mex. turbo snails,
2 peppermint shrimp, 10 nas. snails
large candy cane, supercolored zoos.

30 gal QT
2 penguin 200B HOT filters
150 watt heater
maxijet 600 ph
Bicolor Angel, Clown Tang
born2chill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
color, naso, night, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com