Nassarius are Bad for aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Yeah, to all the people that think they are good, and who think nothing bad will happen.. your wrong. And its not funny at all. i just had a nassarius snail destroy one of my feather dusters. Ripped it apart and then ripped its tubing up. Now i lost a feather duster because of these piece of crap snails. To anyone whos thinking about getting these, i say skip it. They'll do damage to your tank. I'm on the verge now of destroying every single nassarius snail that comes out of the sand.

Last edited by a moderator:
OoO wooo~ thats a bad news
sry zero.
hmm your nassarius became a whelk?? jkjk
I just ordered another 20........ToT

will be ok a refugium right?

I honestly have no clue match55. I did just get these snails.. and now they tore apart a feather duster. Made me sick to my stomach watching what happened. It was disgusting. Im going to find out if i was sold a whelk because now im pissed and down a feather duster which was x8 as much as that freakin snail.

And theres no way it was dying. It was doing perfectly fine, just like the rest of the feather dusters.

It's a catch-22 - if you go without snails that are beneficial to keeping your water parameter in check, your water parameters will suffer and you'll end up with other problems... problems that may eventually lead to things dieing or being overrun with algae.

I've always had nassarius in my tank and have never seen them go after anything alive. They'll be all over a molt, or a shed crown of a duster in a second, but nothing alive. Not saying it didn't happen in your tank, but I'm just saying that if it did happen - it doesn't seem typical.

Our tanks are little ecosystems unto themselves - things eat things, and things kill things. Nature happens. If you want something that you can control 100%... I think you're setting yourself up for a lot of frustration and disappointment.

I have to agree with Kurt. I`ve had nassarius snails for a long time and never had a problem. But as Kurt said they are very beneficial janitors and I would recommend them anyday. I`m sorry about your feather duster and am not discounting your experience at all.

Yeah, i understand what they are. But i still don't trust them. And since i can't really live without them.. i won't.

They got my peppermint shrimp. I knew he was small but they ate him. Or tried to. >>

Even with that experience, I still would have them. They've been so beneficial to my aquarium, I couldn't think of it without them.,

That just disgusts me. I hate snails anyways. But no one here ever sees them climb on the rocks or the glass? My snails insist on getting stuck in this one rock crevice over and over again when they come out of the sand for food. Not to mention that they just drop like flies off of the rocks, and hit some coral that i have. It's just a mystery to me.

They got my peppermint shrimp. I knew he was small but they ate him. Or tried to. >>

Even with that experience, I still would have them. They've been so beneficial to my aquarium, I couldn't think of it without them.,

haha my peppermints r trying to eat my nass snails LOL

Oh the irony :)
hmm actually my snails are eating and my peppers suddenly jump into the snails and role one of them around and stole its food LOL.
since then, the peppers always check on the snails and see if they can find food from the snails LOL

That just disgusts me. I hate snails anyways. But no one here ever sees them climb on the rocks or the glass? My snails insist on getting stuck in this one rock crevice over and over again when they come out of the sand for food. Not to mention that they just drop like flies off of the rocks, and hit some coral that i have. It's just a mystery to me.

Nassarius will climb on the glass for a few minutes during feeding time, but they don't stay there for long. I've never seen them on my rocks. Astrea and trochus will fall off rocks pretty often - trochus can normally right themselves, astrea normally don't and you have to flip them back over or they'll die. Yeah... some aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, but they do their job.

Regarding them killing off corals... yup, been there, done that. But it's not the snails fault - it was my fault for putting coral in the fall line of my rock work. That's why I gave up on plate corals... with my rockwork, snails often fall off and since plate's can move wherever they want they eventually got whacked. And that was pretty much the end of them. Had a crab get stuck and bash it's way through a bubble coral colony I had... killed that off [the bubble coral, that is]. It's all a learning experience. Unfortunately the learning experience often times costs money.

Yeah, im beginning to think that the snail that got stuck on the zoas, is what is killing them off. They are all curled and most won't open anymore. Oh well.. nothing lost.. nothing gained. Still i hate snails. Such weird and gross things.

I just go rid of my peppermint shrimp and a hermit crab for eating what I thought was healthy coral. Bought Narrius snails to replace. So I hope mine dont go rogue like the others.

Yeah i remember.. but i just don't see anything even going near them. And i've moved them around so much in the past two days..

Back
Top Bottom