Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2005, 12:33 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

I've ordered from him before. I drip acclimated them for several hours and then dumped the ones that were still moving into the tank. They do not consume red cyano as he claims. Most do bury themselves in the sand till feeding time. It's amazing watching all of them come out of the sand when the tank get's fed. They also make their way to the clip that I use for the nori and are all over what's left of it. I would say about 50% survival rate is what you can expect, possibly due to the slow (snail mail) shipping. My first order was during the colder months and all died in shipping. The order was promptly replaced so I would say buy with confidence.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 09:50 PM   #12
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I also bought some, from another ebayer in NC. They had a great survival rate. I ahve since upgraded to a larger tank and am about to place another order, with your seller. Great little snails.

Old 10-03-2005, 10:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to pelochas Send a message via Yahoo to pelochas
how many snails do you need for a 75 gal FOWLR?
should they all be nassarius snails?
Old 10-04-2005, 08:54 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

I think you'll also need other snails that will deal with the rock and glass. Nassarius would only do the sand. Maybe some astreas and small turbos too.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:44 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually it would seem that your thinking would be correct Ray (austinsdad), but those little buggers will stay on the glass, in the sand, and on the rocks. I have bought snail 2 times like these from ebay. I bought from the same seller...cm marine. This last order I got was for 200 snails. I devided them up between my 30g prop tank, 20g fuge, 30g sump, and 125g tank. That was alot of snails! Most all mine lived. Given the right conditions they will reproduce like rabbits.

The only thing I have heard negative is that these are cooler water snails, and their life span will be cut short in our warm reef tanks. You cant beat them for the price. If I have a spot on the sand that is looking nasty, I just scrape a handful off the glass and drop them in the spot. Later that day, spot cleaned!

Have fun.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:03 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to AkainePSP Send a message via MSN to AkainePSP Send a message via Yahoo to AkainePSP
In our 75 gallon salt tank somehow more than likely on some rock at one point got Elephant Slugs. They have bred and we must have 20 of them in our tank well we wre keeping the lights on to much and got an algae bloom. Turned off the lights after finding out when and how long they should be on in about 2 days all of the algae was gone.
3" Live sand and crushed coral
250 Skilter- supposed to work as a skimmer too

Tankmates: 1 Coral Beauty, Pair of False Perculas 8 blue hermits, 2 turbo snails, 100 Nassarius Snail, 1 elephant slug, 1 camal back shrimp, 1 Blood Shrimp.
AkainePSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 11:10 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Down to 10 - 12 hrs of light now?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 10-04-2005, 11:56 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to AkainePSP Send a message via MSN to AkainePSP Send a message via Yahoo to AkainePSP
yep and things are looking better for all tanks. My next investment are surge protectors w/ timers for the lights.

This is what I've been doing:

12PM - I turn the blue colored lights on (can't remember the name but they make the tank look blue to a purple color.

2PM - I turn on my white lights

10PM- White lights go off

12AM- Blue Lights turn off

If I understood the directions given to me in one of my other posts on the board I am doing this correctly.

Tankmates: 1 Coral Beauty, Pair of False Perculas 8 blue hermits, 2 turbo snails, 100 Nassarius Snail, 1 elephant slug, 1 camal back shrimp, 1 Blood Shrimp.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:03 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Sounds good. Those $3.99 timers work well. I only keep my blue/actinics on for 1 hour before and after my white/daylight lights.

Old 10-11-2005, 07:23 PM   #20

Got my snails today. And there are definately a ton! I have quite a few on the glass and a lot in the sand beds as well. I've notived that some seem to "colonize" and group together. I would definately say we didn't need nearly this many but I think things will be ok. They certainly don't appear to be hurting anything.

Tags
nassarius, snail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com