Nassarius Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AkainePSP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently bought 300 (35.00 w/ shipping) Nassarius Snails from someone on ebay. I have 3 tanks 44 , 75 and a 20 gallon. How shuold I divide these critters up?

300 snails tahas a ton
i have no idea where u could put them cause i was going to say 1st put 1/2 of them in the 75 then i realized thats 150snails

do u have sumps for these tanks taht they could possibly go in
it seems ur gonna get too many snails

I would put 150 in the big tank, 100 in the medium tank and 50 in the small tank. I personally do not think it is too many snails.

ok thats what I will do. I was a bit worried when Kohan Bros. said I was getting to many. I know its a lot of snails but the price was right and they were also guaranteed.

You will get more than 300, for sure. They always ship more, to make up for ones that die in shipment. I ordered 50 to split between my 29 gallon, and my friend's 10 gallon...and I got 106 snails in the bag. I don't think 300 is too many either though. You won't see them during the day anyways, they'll be snoozing. :)

Best of luck with the snails.

Wow, great price! I might order from them. I'll be interested to hear how it works out.

I read their instructions for acclimation. Never heard of a procedure like that. It says to rinse them off with freshwater and then put them right into a container of your tank water. I would've thought that is the way to kill them.

I thought the freshwater thing was a bit odd myself and have never rinsed any of my other snails in freshwater. I don't think I will be doing this.

I've ordered from him before. I drip acclimated them for several hours and then dumped the ones that were still moving into the tank. They do not consume red cyano as he claims. Most do bury themselves in the sand till feeding time. It's amazing watching all of them come out of the sand when the tank get's fed. They also make their way to the clip that I use for the nori and are all over what's left of it. I would say about 50% survival rate is what you can expect, possibly due to the slow (snail mail) shipping. My first order was during the colder months and all died in shipping. The order was promptly replaced so I would say buy with confidence.

I also bought some, from another ebayer in NC. They had a great survival rate. I ahve since upgraded to a larger tank and am about to place another order, with your seller. Great little snails.

I think you'll also need other snails that will deal with the rock and glass. Nassarius would only do the sand. Maybe some astreas and small turbos too.

Actually it would seem that your thinking would be correct Ray (austinsdad), but those little buggers will stay on the glass, in the sand, and on the rocks. I have bought snail 2 times like these from ebay. I bought from the same seller...cm marine. This last order I got was for 200 snails. I devided them up between my 30g prop tank, 20g fuge, 30g sump, and 125g tank. That was alot of snails! Most all mine lived. Given the right conditions they will reproduce like rabbits.

The only thing I have heard negative is that these are cooler water snails, and their life span will be cut short in our warm reef tanks. You cant beat them for the price. If I have a spot on the sand that is looking nasty, I just scrape a handful off the glass and drop them in the spot. Later that day, spot cleaned! :mrgreen:

Have fun.

In our 75 gallon salt tank somehow more than likely on some rock at one point got Elephant Slugs. They have bred and we must have 20 of them in our tank well we wre keeping the lights on to much and got an algae bloom. Turned off the lights after finding out when and how long they should be on in about 2 days all of the algae was gone.

yep and things are looking better for all tanks. My next investment are surge protectors w/ timers for the lights.

This is what I've been doing:

12PM - I turn the blue colored lights on (can't remember the name but they make the tank look blue to a purple color.

2PM - I turn on my white lights

10PM- White lights go off

12AM- Blue Lights turn off

If I understood the directions given to me in one of my other posts on the board I am doing this correctly. :)

Sounds good. Those $3.99 timers work well. I only keep my blue/actinics on for 1 hour before and after my white/daylight lights.

Got my snails today. And there are definately a ton! I have quite a few on the glass and a lot in the sand beds as well. I've notived that some seem to "colonize" and group together. I would definately say we didn't need nearly this many but I think things will be ok. They certainly don't appear to be hurting anything.

Back
Top Bottom