Nassarius Snail Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awillemd1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just recently purchased nassarius snails to help stir up my DSB. Can someone reply with what is supposed to be typical behavior of this species of snails? My lights are on 24/7 and I typically see the snails on the surface of the bed, i.e. not burrowing like I was expecting.

Thanks in advance.

Willem

I just picked some up the other night and they do a little of both for me. However, I wouldn't leave your light on 24/7.. more like 10-12 hours a day. Well thats atleast what I do.

Thank you for your reply.

I have grape caulerpa as the macro algae in my refugium and it is my understanding that you need to leave the lights on 24/7 to keep it from 'going sexual'.

Willem

My nassarius snails either stay on the glass or in the DSB. They'll burrow into the sand about half way and chill there. They'll move across the sand and find food... typical behavior of the snail. :D This is "typical" for me in any case.

mine are all over...in the sand, on the glass, on the DSB and on the LR....so I think it all depends on where they like it :) and where the food it

"I have grape caulerpa as the macro algae in my refugium and it is my understanding that you need to leave the lights on 24/7 to keep it from 'going sexual'. "

Huh? Does yout refugium light also light the tank? The fuge should get its on light, and the tank should be on a seperate light. This way the fugre can get 24hr light if you want, and you do not mess up the tank =)

I'm not sure where the misunderstanding came from, but my fuge does have its own light. I have an 18 watt flourescent bulb on it.

I have metal halides on my main tank.

Willem

Usually when i feed my fish, they can sense the food and they all come out the sand bed. And when I feed the tank enough frozen Formula 1, they go crazy leaving the sand bed and climb the glass to reach the top of the water within a matter of a minute or 2. These guys a so fun to watch.

And when I feed the tank enough frozen Formula 1, they go crazy leaving the sand bed and climb the glass to reach the top of the water within a matter of a minute or 2.

Mine do this too. Once they get up near the top, I always wonder what the snail is thinking when it realizes there is no tasty food on the glass.

Back
Top Bottom