nassarius snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pufferman

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey all,
I got 6 nassarius snails the other day and drip acclimated them for an hour. After that i dropped them in the tank and they dug into the sand right afterwards. im a little concerned because i havent seen them come out during the day. Are they nocturnal? or is something wrong.

TIA
P-MAN

I think they are just eating away in the sand. I've had three do the same thing. They just up and said "Whoa - SAND" and have not seen them since. I catch a glimpse of the larger one about once a week.

Anyone with a tad more Nassarius snail experience? I've the same question, but think they are just happy.

They usually stay under the sand until feeding. A couple of mine do show up when lights out but most stay under the sand until they are hungry enough to get out of the sand when I feed the tank.

I have about 15 of them and they usually only come out at night. Sometimes I forget how many I have until the lights go out and then they all come out of the sand/LR.

I bought a dozen last week. I only see them on the glass towards the water line. Is there something wrong with mine?

Yep they are sand dwellers and I love them for doing that work. Sand sifting stars haven't lived too long for me, and these snails are great. Mine also come out at feeding time.

As ar as those near the water line, I'd wonder why they don't like to stay in the sand. My LFS says he doesn't sell'm because they climb out of his tanks. Go figure. Kwan and my LFS have the only nassarius I know of that leave the bottom 3" of the tank. I don't know, but that is unusual as far as I know. Kwan, they are the fast moving, long white bodies, right? Just wondering if you have the pointed tip/shell astreas.

Yes, I do have the right nassarius snails all right. Is the same ones I had before. But for some reason, they won't go into the sand. I see them on the glass mainly and close to the water line. Funny enough, when I was buying them at the LFS they were under the sand and the LFS had to drop a cockle in the water to get them out.

I have quite a few of those snails in my tank, but am not certain on the number. I counted seven one night, but rarely ever see them.

some of mine stayed near the water line for anout a week and a half before they finally went into the sand. i havent seen them since. i have to becarefull when syphoneing the sand, ive seen a few then.

kwan said:
Yes, I do have the right nassarius snails all right. Is the same ones I had before. But for some reason, they won't go into the sand. I see them on the glass mainly and close to the water line. Funny enough, when I was buying them at the LFS they were under the sand and the LFS had to drop a cockle in the water to get them out.

When you say sand, is it possible that you have CC? I know they don't like CC. Other than that, I'm not sure why they're not in the sand...Mine ONLY come out at night.

i have 100s of these i see them during the day night everywhere in my tank they breed like mad i have eggs all over my glass it is pain cleaning the glass cause i dont wanna kill any but i usually kill some because i dont see them sometimes on my acrilic tank they are upsidedown on the top of the tank like under the lid but my lid is attached to my walls if u know what i mean if any of u guys want i will take some pics so u can see what to look out for

jester said:
i have 100s of these i see them during the day night everywhere in my tank they breed like mad i have eggs all over my glass it is pain cleaning the glass cause i dont wanna kill any but i usually kill some because i dont see them sometimes on my acrilic tank they are upsidedown on the top of the tank like under the lid but my lid is attached to my walls if u know what i mean if any of u guys want i will take some pics so u can see what to look out for

I think that's a run-on sentence :lol:

all my sentences are run-on`s i never punctuate to much time i just type away

I got 150 of them for my tank. and most of them only come out at night.
The lights go out and Bang snails everywhere. I like them. And they keep my tank very clean. I got them off EBay. 150 for like 14.00 bucks killer deal. underwater exotics is the store that is the cheapest for these little guys. They sell lots of 150 up to 500 I think. It's kind of a blessing they only come out at night for me and my 55gal. They shift my sand all day and clean my tank at night.
:lach:

Mine all hit the sand and stayed there. Even the ones that came with some LR I purchased. I never see them on the glass itself, let alone the top.

mine stay on the back or front glass also never see them on the sand, i had 30 and maybe 10-15 died from the crabs eating them need to get some more

I kind of look at mine like "canaries in a coal mine". I never see them unless my parameters go slightly of whack. If they're out during the day I do a quick water change. That usually drives them out of sight where I like 'em :wink:

LOL :lol:

Attn: JohnS - I just busted up laughing on your sig line. Good one.

Back
Top Bottom