Nasty green hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andy_b22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 55 gallon tank just recently finished cycling!!!YEAH!!! I have 40lbs. of Keys LR and alot of purple coraline on them but there is also an increasing amount of the green hair algae on the rock too. i have not preformed my first water change tho. My question is what would be the best way to take care of my problem. i don't really want to put a lawnmower blenny in there so i am looking to put a algae eating critter in there. I am asking what should i put in there? and does anyone got any good suggestion on a nice cleaning crew that takes care of the algea and detritus that doesn't cost no 60 dollars like the ones you can buy on the internet.
TIA

Oftentimes, diligent removal of the hair algae using your hands and tweezers, along with the water change and turning off the lights for a couple days will go a long way towards removing it. It is probably feeding off the nutrients in the water from your cycling. YOu might just want to do your regular maintenance and keep on top of it yourself. As far as critters go, hermit crabs, sally lightfoot crabs will eat hair algae. Depending on what you are going to do with your tank as in, corals or not corals, fish that eat crabs etc, that will help you decide what to get.

You need to find out what the algae is feeding off of and remove it or it will just come back.
Have you tested your water for nitrates and phosphates?
What type of water do you use, tap, ro/di?

You need to find out what the algae is feeding off of and remove it

I think the most likely, although possibly not the only reason, is that the tank has just finished cycling and no water changes have been done as of yet.

Back
Top Bottom