Natural Sea Water or RO/DI ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nhelw1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys. I have a 100g coral/community tank and my ro/di unit has pooped its self.

I'm at the point where all the foundation in the tank is set and I need to start adding supplements to grow and let the corals shine!! But I'm not sure if it's worth buying another ro/DI unit or begin to get nsw (filtered)delivered. The water in my area isn't that great so I do a two stage filter then the ro/di.

Clean nsw is in reach but is it better to use ro/di?

If I use nsw do I still need to supplement things like calcium and the rest if I'm doing 30% water changes weekly?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388806346.915229.jpg

When you say nsw do you mean the processed one you buy at pet store? It is the best but too expensive though. In the long run you will still save more with a new RO/DI. BTW What happened to it? Those filters are replaceable.

Yea defiantly from the aquarium... Ohh the ro/di we'll... There was an incident with a car and the front of my house. Unfortunately I live on one of those stress hoons love!

Do you think I should still supplement?

The nsw has complete elements just like your salt mix. The dosing depends on how much your set up consumes really and not the quality of saltwater.

With the salt. When it states it has all the elements are they a good source to go by. I mean do they have the halogens + potassium and boron etc...

Should I be supplementing them for good growth and coloration?

With the salt. When it states it has all the elements are they a good source to go by. I mean do they have the halogens + potassium and boron etc...

Should I be supplementing them for good growth and coloration?

Yes it has all that in it and there is no need to supplement them. Only supplement what you test for and when needed.

AHHHHHHHHH I did not know that!
I recently went into a an aquarium and a staff member told me my coral seems to be bleaching. Which freaked the heck out of me! My anemone is verry green and bright what do you think?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388810303.310667.jpg

Phew!!!! Lol I was freaking out. Nearly went and bought the Red Sea complete coral kit!

Well you use do/do for top off when water evaporates, saltwater for Water changes. A RO unit is the most essential item in own in the saltwater hobby IMO. Don't even try city water as most likely the TDS in the water will kill all your coral. Copper is a big no-no. Also with a RO unit at your house you can mix your own SW for WC and make RO for top off. I suggest buying a RO/DI unit from BRS, bulkreefsupply.com . Best place to go IMO. Also just want to point out if the first pic is most recent, I would want to start thinking about getting rid of that puffer as sooner or later it will go to town on your corals.

Well you use do/do for top off when water evaporates, saltwater for Water changes. A RO unit is the most essential item in own in the saltwater hobby IMO. Don't even try city water as most likely the TDS in the water will kill all your coral. Copper is a big no-no. Also with a RO unit at your house you can mix your own SW for WC and make RO for top off. I suggest buying a RO/DI unit from BRS, bulkreefsupply.com . Best place to go IMO. Also just want to point out if the first pic is most recent, I would want to start thinking about getting rid of that puffer as sooner or later it will go to town on your corals.

Thanks for that!! I think in time when money allows it I will get a new system. I've had the puffer for about a year and never had any issues. IDE love to buy from bra but I live down under in Australia.

Really? I feed it a peeled fresh prawn every second/third day.

What can I do to help it? Now I thinking of it today although it was massive it looked like it was split in two but he may have just popped half his tentacles out of another crack in the rock.

What lighting do you have over the tank currently? No anemone is supposed to be pure white. That's what it looks like in the picture anyway.

I have t8 120cm. There's about 4 blue and one white. All on a timer. The blues start slowly come in the. Only for an hour or so the white kicks in then the blues slowly turn time out completely At around 930 pm

He doesn't look white to the eye. But he's definAtly extrA bright. Has been like that since I got him ages ago

A T8 fixture is not ideal for photosynthetic creatures IME. I would run all 4 lamps at once in the day time. Blues come on, then white (blues stay on with them), then whites go off in the evening, blues stay on for a little longer before darkness.

For real!! Wow the tank will be so bright!
Should I worry about brown algae and high nitrates with the white light? Or that doesn't make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom