Natural seawater opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diverdown69

Aquarium Advice Activist
This has probably already been covered somewhere...sorry if it's a repost.
I live less than 100 yards from Copano Bay in Texas and I work at a shrimp mariculture facility in Port Aransas, TX. I can get oceanic seawater (salinity 32-35 ppt) and bay seawater (salinity 25-30 ppt) from a variety of sources, including Copano Bay. If you could get filtered and polished natural seawater, would you use it in your aquarium as makeup water?

I would and do. I live in San Diego and good clean natural water source, but I used to live on Rockport, so know the water quality around there. I would be really careful that you pick the right source. Make sure it is clean, maybe have it tested.

A friend and fellow mariculturist at TAES suggested that I use 5 gallons of our makeup water for my weekly water changes. I know 5 gallons is a lot to change out at a time...I would probably do more like 3 in the 10-gal tank I have. Once I get my BIG tank, I will definitely use the water from TAES. It is polished and tested for pathogens and organic/inorganic contaminants on a weekly basis. I know this because I was doing the testing for a while.

Back
Top Bottom