Natural SW vs. mixed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is doing a water change with fresh SW vs. mixed better? I realize that I
still need to supplement based on bio load and utilization from inhabitants. but it just seems a bit more natural to me, even though the water is coming from the California coast vs. where most of my tank inhabitants are from.

OK now for another one, is the water from the California coast, specifically (300ft deep off the Catalina coast), as nutrient rich as the native water where these critters are normally found? Seems to me that the water from a rich coral reef environment would have more of the natural elements that these critters are used to.

The reason for this question is that I have a 12 gal reef now and all I've used is fresh SW and it's very convenient. But, when I get the 100gal going wondering if it will be as effective. I don't mind paying the $0.35 a gallon every couple of weeks for 10-15 gal.

You can use NSW, but you will need to sterilize it in some fashion before putting it in the tank. This can be done by letting it age for a period of 1-2 weeks while keeping it aerated. There are also other ways to do this which are chlorine, ozone, and UV to name a few. This is an important step, however it is carried out. This will let all planktonic organisms as well as parasites and other "junk" to die out before putting them in your tank.

It also needs to be collected away from shore. 500 feet+ away from shore would be a good distance. This will allow you to get away from pollution.

I found it easier to mix my water instead of collecting it myself.

OK now for another one, is the water from the California coast, specifically (300ft deep off the Catalina coast), as nutrient rich as the native water where these critters are normally found? Seems to me that the water from a rich coral reef environment would have more of the natural elements that these critters are used to.

Good question. Not really sure on that one. Perhaps someone else will know.

Biggen,
The water I use is gathered from 300ft off the coast of Catalina Island, which is 21 miles off the coast of So. Cal. Would I still need to sterilize this water? I have been solely using this water for 6 mos and have seen no ill affects that I am aware of. Or am I looking for trouble over the long haul?

The water I use is gathered from 300ft off the coast of Catalina Island, which is 21 miles off the coast of So. Cal. Would I still need to sterilize this water? I have been solely using this water for 6 mos and have seen no ill affects that I am aware of. Or am I looking for trouble over the long haul?

Well, I would sterilize it and then run a mechanical filter in it to remove all the larger particles and sediment. The problem that you could get into is all the planktonic organisms in the water eventually fouling your tank because of their dieoff. I seriously doubt that they could all be consumed.

The other problem is that a lot (not all) of fish sold in the aquarium trade aren't really equipped to deal with any disease, bacteria, and parasites that could be living in the water. While I think the chance of this actually killing a fish could be slim, it is still a chance, IMO.

However, its hard to argue with the results you are having. You will just have to decide for yourself what you should do. Like I said before, if I were doing it, I would take step to make sure the water is clean before putting it in my tank. :wink:

I wonder if the water coming from California could have adverse affects on non-native species? In most cases this would be all of my inhabitants. Most, if not all, of my organisms are from a far away land of unknown origins. On the other hand, some of them are captive bred, I wonder what ill affects these will have vs. the imported wild species. Now you got my wheels really turnin. :? As far as the mechanical filter is concerned, I have never seen (seen being the key word here) any foreign matter floating in the water.

thanks BIGGEN!

Back
Top Bottom