My twelve year old daughter had early release from school yesterday. She came home to find one of my rio powerheads smoking and sparking in my 90 gal
. Thank goodness she has a good head on her shoulders. She at first thought it was a heater and unplugged that, but when the smoke and sparks were continuing to issue from the tank, she called her grandmother for help.
Needless to say, the chemicals from the burning and melting of the plastic toxified the water. My yellow tang was dead by the time I arrived home as was one chromis. I have never seen corals "snot" so much as they tried to recover. I still await to see what other casualties occur.
I changed 100% of the water firguring that it was certain that everybody would die if I left the toxic water in the tank, so I might as well risk the the loss to shock during the water change
So far so good... I've seen my bicolor blenny , coral beauty, and decorated goby this morning. I'm hoping my sixline pulled through.
The top of the rio is completely melted and carbonized. I shudder to think how close we came to having the house burn down.