Need a better skimmer!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snapcrackler

Aquarium Advice Addict
My visijet 100 is a big clunker.

I would like to buy the Remora or the Remora Pro. Should I also buy the skimmer box thing to increase the efficiency of the skimmer?

The Remora is a little pricey (good equipment tends to be LOL) but it there any skimmer under $100 that is worth a poop when compared to the Remora?

If I get a Remora I should try to find one without a RIO pump in it, right? as far as PHeads go the RIOS seem kinda cheep.

Thanks for your input.

Which tank is this skimmer going on?

The 55, 40 or one of the 10's?

You could look at the prizm pro deluxe but thats close to the price of the remora.

If you get the remora get the maxijet pump. Rios are great doorstops.

If you get a film on the surface of your tank a surface overflow will help out greatly. If you have good surface movement and you dont have issues with a film on the surface then you can probably get by without the surface box.

What about the Nautilus TE? I've read a lot about them and am installing one in my sump with a Maxi-jet 1200 pump. Is the pump undersized?

Good info guys. No surface film but now I understand how that box helps.

This one would be going on the 55 and eventually on something larger like a 125 or so when I phase out the 55.

hehe... I bought a big RIO about a year ago for a homemade FW filter, and now I use it to mix saltwater in the big igloo cooler. It clunks and bumps but is still going so far. Nothing I would want to depend on for something important LOL

I will definitely go with the maxijet, and captivereefs PMed me and told me about the 6% discount for AA members which puts a remora at a pretty good price, and it already has the upgraded powerhead in it.

Let me know how the nautilus TE works out.

A Remora would do fine on a 55, but it won't be enough for a 125. If you're planning to use this skimmer on a tank that size, I'd go with the Remora Pro with a Mag 3 pump. You can always add a surface box later if you see a need for it. JMHO.

I might get myself a remora pro and mag3 for my 80 gal. I have been happy with the remora C's performance on the 45 since i put it in a few weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom