need a little help on this one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve r

Aquarium Advice FINatic
has anyone ever experienced nassarius snails killing crabs? about two weeks ago i found my emerald crab dead with a nasssarius wraped around him. at first i thought the snail killed him, but then i realized it was probably just trying to clean up a dead crab. i got a new sally light foot about two weeks ago. about an hour ago the crab was fine, i looked at the tank 10 minutes ago and it was dead with a nassarius wrapped around it in the exact same fashion. the odd thing is that i have seen both the emerald and the sally light foot go out of thier way to go after the nassarius snails. i think they might be fighting and the snail gets wrapped up around the crab and suffocates it.

any thoughts?
steve r

Nassarius do not have the weapons to kill a crab. They are most likely being killed by something else and the nassarius are having a snack.

not a molt. it just looked funny. the snail both times was wrapped directly around the mouth of the crab. from its belly to its back. it looks like it could suffocate it. just a strange coincidence. nothing else is showing up dead. all the hermits are accounted for.

thanks for the input
steve r

Back
Top Bottom