Need a little help with 90gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iamfor3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi
Im upgrading from a 46 bowfront to a 90gal. I live in a doublewide
mobile home is my floor going to hold? no basement and the whole
bottom covered with insulation dont know whats under it. dont want to tear it up.

Funny coincidence... I bought my 125g from a guy in a mobile home for $300 because he had to get it out quick because it was breaking thru his floor.

The floor in a mobile home is only plywood.
I you're going to attempt it (which I wouldn't recommend), at least put down a large sheet of 3/4" plywood as a base to help distribute the weight over a bigger area (at least 6-8" around) than the footprint of the tank.

That a good question. You can figure water weighs 8.15 lbs per gallon and the weight of your tank and stand. You might be better off asking the manufacturer of your DW. If you do I would make sure you are going across the beams. It would be comparable to 4 full grown ( At least 200 Lbs) men standing side by side.

I have a brother in law who is 500+ lbs and he has gone through his 1997 DW 3 times so far just walking around. (not a joke)

Granted that's a lot of weight only distributed through two feet but I have little faith in any DW being able to support 1200+ lbs without serious added support.

I have to agree with tecwzrd. My first place was a modular home (fancy DW) and I got my 55 while living there and I got under the huse and braced the floor where the tank was going just to be safe. I would not recomend setting up a 120 without some serious structural support!!!

Any way you could build an addition off the DW which could house the tank and act as a fish room?

If the floor beams are 2x6 i think u will be just fine as long as u put the tank across the beams because then your distributing the weight across a few beams. Its no different than putting a tank on the second floor of a two story house. Go across the beams you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom