Need a protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawkor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have decided to pick up a protein skimmer and place it in my sump. How does this model look?

Reefwarehouse.com | For The Serious Aquarium Enthusiast

I have a 75 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump/fuge. The only inhabitants I have currently are a yellow tang, a coral beauty, and a purple psuedochromis. I have one question about the skimmer, does the water exit the skimmer at the top of the tube sticking out of the skimmer? What is the big black peice of foam on it for?

Yes, the water exits from the tube sticking out of the skimmer and as far as I can tell the foam is just another filtering option. Mine gets dirty after a while and needs cleaned. I don't know much about the particular skimmer you are looking for but I have an ASM and I like it alot!

So I have decided to pick up a protein skimmer and place it in my sump. How does this model look?

I have a 75 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump/fuge. The only inhabitants I have currently are a yellow tang, a coral beauty, and a purple psuedochromis. I have one question about the skimmer, does the water exit the skimmer at the top of the tube sticking out of the skimmer? What is the big black peice of foam on it for?

I used that skimmer in my 75-gallon but it was the NW150 version. I like that skimmer it works good. You may want to consider getting the 150 for your tank if you plan on keeping lots of fish or coral. Those foam rings work as good silencers for the clean water that comes out and trickles down the tube.

Great skimmer though I agree the 150 would be better if you have the available cash.

The foam is to cut down on the bubbles exiting the skimmer

Alright thanks guys, one more question. I will be placing the skimmer in the refugium part of my sump which has a 4 inch sand bed, can I put it on the sand or will I need to put it on something else?

Why are you putting the skimmer in the fuge? You'll skim out your pods and probably suck up some sand into your skimmer pump. I'd put it in a separate section before the fuge separated by a baffle.

Well I have no room to put it anywhere else really....

Why are you putting the skimmer in the fuge? You'll skim out your pods and probably suck up some sand into your skimmer pump. I'd put it in a separate section before the fuge separated by a baffle.

I agree with this. If you can't put it before the fuge you may need to consider an external skimmer.

I have both the asm and octopus skimmers and love the octopus skimmer. It's very easy to clean and seems to do a little bit better job than the asm. The asm skimmer I have is very loud too. I would opt for the larger model. I have the 150 in my small tank (40 gallon) and it works like a charm. Good luck!

I have mine in a separate compartment. It will be rough having it in the fuge esp. if you have some type of macro in it as it will clog up your pump.

Well then my only options now really are either an HOB skimmer or an external skimmer....I'm leaning towards external skimmer but don't really understand how they work.

It says that skimmer can be used for external use but what would I need to set it up externaly? Thanks for the help guys.

Back
Top Bottom