I want a couple other fish in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kerti

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I just took over an aquarium that my mother didn't want anymore. I used to be huge into salt water tanks but didn't have time for it, but I'm now getting back into it. I do, however, have a big problem that I need help with:

She has a pair of golden maroon clowns, they're a couple. From what I remember, they are very aggressive and territorial, but I like them A LOT. I want a couple other fish in my tank but I'm too worried about spending money on a fish with it ultimately getting killed. This is a 30 gallon tank, btw. I wanna know what type of fish I could possibly get or if I need to just take them to a fish store and donate them.

Please help, it'll be greatly appreciated.

Maybe a puffer just as long as there is no crabs or shrimps he should work like a valentini maybe or you could go super aggressive and get like a fuzzy or dwarf zebra lion

That's the thing, I do want blue legs and red legs hermit crabs, as well as a couple emerald crabs and possibly a coral bandit shrimp.. So the puffer and lion fish are out of the question, unfortunately. I am a HUGE fan of lion fish too, but it just won't work out in this tank.

To bad haha I don't have either I have inverts so don't feel down haha maybe some wrasses or angels

No lion will fit in that tank. Honestly I'd rehome the maroons. They get very large and like you said they probably already own that tank. I doubt they'd tank kindly to newbies

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398054565.783379.jpg that's a picture of the Maroon's. They are fully grown, they are almost two years old now. I might have to end up giving them
a new home.

So I thought I'd give you guys an update. Today I went to the fish store to get some snails, blue leg and red leg hermits, an emerald crab, a couple peppermint shrimp and a blood shrimp. I ended up giving it a shot and purchased a purple dotty back and a very tiny yellow tang. The guy at the fish store convinced me that the clownfish wouldn't go after these particular fish.

Well, I ended up having a bad experience. I threw the hermits in as well as the emerald. So far so good. I threw the peppermint shrimp in and the clown was getting close but no attack. Then the bad part happens. The female clown started VIOLENTLY attacking the dotty back as soon as I threw him in. Very scary. The dotty back is missing a piece if his top fin. Without hesitation, I grabbed my net and captured the clowns and I'm on the way to the store to re home them and give that guy a piece of my mind. Luckily the yellow tang wasn't in yet. The yellow tang is now in after I caught the clowns and the dotty back and the yellow tang are getting a long great! I should've never put a fish in the tank with those clowns.

i have a mated pair of maroon clowns in my tank been in there for 3 weeks i decided i would add two lyretail anthias saturday and they are getting along great no aggression what so ever i was very scared they would start to attack especially since the female is nearly 6"

You got a yellow tang for a 30 gallon tank? Sounds like you need to make another trip to that lfs to rehome another fish, and you should stop listening to them

I agree.... Any store that would knowingly sell you a yellow tang for a 30g tank is NOT the store you should frequent or trust in any way.

There is still debate whether a 4 foot 75g is enough for one. I have one in mu 6 foot 180g tank....

They do nothing but swim back and forth constantly which is why they need the space. Putting one in a 30g is just asking for trouble as far as their health and not to mention they can quite nasty to new additions, my tangs are not very nice to other fish usually. lol

Clowns are very territorial. I have a pair in my 20g that go after any new fish for about a week before finally accepting them. Clowns are just huge jerks.

Back
Top Bottom