Need Advice ASAP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhino

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I just came across what I believe to be a beyond killer deal. I found an Oceanic Biocube (8 gallon) for only $30. I have no experience with saltwater but have been throwing around the idea of doing a reef tank for quite some time. I still have lots of research today before I am actually ready but this deal is so good I can clean it up and store it in a closet for a couple of months until I am ready. If I get it once I decide to make the dive I plan to use it as a coral only tank with no fish or inverts (since it is so small). Does anyone know exactly how much water this thing holds? I have heard a lot of you talking about how the 29 is not exactly 29 gallons. Thanks so much for your help and advice you all. Let me know your thoughts soon!!

I wouldnt buy it, $30 you can get a much larger tank. Add like $30 more dollars you can find yourself a good 70+ gallon tank on craigslist.

Don't do it! also might want to mention harder tanks are harder to keep water stable

Size is a limiting factor though as I already have a planted 40 breeder, 36 bowfront, and just ordered the light for a 10 gallon planted for my bedroom.

To determine volume, you need to know the exact dimensions.
You can keep some small inverts in a tank that size. My LFS has that exact tank set up as a reef nano to show customers what you can do with a small tank. Now, as Francis pointed out, small tanks are difficult to keep stable, but if you're willing and able to keep on top of it, they can be really cool. Coral only is pretty, but you might want to consider something with a little more movement. You will need a clean up crew to help control algae, diatoms, and coral poop. Hermit crabs, snails, etc. Also, consider a feather duster once the tank is established, maybe some small shrimp. The nano at my LFS that I mentioned has several sexy shrimp in it. You may be able to find a couple small fish, but that is a very small tank. If you can get the biocube 29 gallon, you won't regret it. And btw... you will upgrade. LOL
It's addictive!

MacDracor said:
To determine volume, you need to know the exact dimensions.
You can keep some small inverts in a tank that size. My LFS has that exact tank set up as a reef nano to show customers what you can do with a small tank. Now, as Francis pointed out, small tanks are difficult to keep stable, but if you're willing and able to keep on top of it, they can be really cool. Coral only is pretty, but you might want to consider something with a little more movement. You will need a clean up crew to help control algae, diatoms, and coral poop. Hermit crabs, snails, etc. Also, consider a feather duster once the tank is established, maybe some small shrimp. The nano at my LFS that I mentioned has several sexy shrimp in it. You may be able to find a couple small fish, but that is a very small tank. If you can get the biocube 29 gallon, you won't regret it. And btw... you will upgrade. LOL
It's addictive!

Yeah I saw the 29 at a petsmart and loved it. Maybe I will wait...who knows.

Well, just from personal experience here, if you buy the smaller tank, it won't be long before you buy a bigger one. I started with a 29, and that didn't last a month before I'd found a 45 on craigslist for $40. I actually intend to set up a biocube 29 one day as a seahorse tank. But that'll be a while.

MacDracor said:
Well, just from personal experience here, if you buy the smaller tank, it won't be long before you buy a bigger one. I started with a 29, and that didn't last a month before I'd found a 45 on craigslist for $40. I actually intend to set up a biocube 29 one day as a seahorse tank. But that'll be a while.

Lol agreed. Ive had a 2g, 5g, 8g, 25g, 29g, 55g, 75g, and now a 210g

Ibrahim, you're worse than I am! I've gone 29 to 45, but it has to stay there for a while. Between my three tanks, I have 120 gallons of water in my one bedroom apartment. I have to stop!
But when I buy a house............... *cue evil laugh*

I'd buy it if its in good condition without a doubt. :)

thats a great deal and would make an awesome invert/soft coral tank.

i never see deals like that lol

carey said:

Exactly. You can re sell it too for 2 or 3 times the price if you don't want another tank

The tank, but to make that tank into a saltwater tank you would need to drop another $150 on lighting at least plus filtration. thats all included in the biocube

carey said:

I am trying to get it but have not heard from the seller yet.

Im working on mine. Im doing a lot of diy stuff on it so its going to take a wile but i am being patient.

Attachments

• image-808266687.jpg
    image-808266687.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 71
  • image-4087989006.jpg
    image-4087989006.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 71
Back
Top Bottom