Need advice on ALK test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beej1254

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I posted awhile ago about the Red Sea reef foundation test kit...specifically the ALK test giving me varied results due to hard to read color changes. I recently contacted the company I bought the kit from via FB messenger and got a response saying that the test kit is hard to read but as long as I note when I see a definite color change and as long as I do this consistently I should be ok to dose 2 part off the results. I haven't been able to get a consistent level that I felt comfortable with yet and I've had this kit for a few weeks now. So my question is because I feel like this may not be the best advice should I follow this? The kit is supposed to be able to give me reliable results that I can base 2 part dosing off of and if it's already so hard to read how can I myself be consistent? I feel like this could result in me dosing too much to compensate a bad reading. But I don't really know how much is too much to harm my tank?

If anyone can help me out I'd be extremely grateful. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think I will get them once I run out of the test kits I have. I'm kind of disappointed with at least the ALK test in the reef foundations kit. Still off work from my injury so I gotta use what I have for now.

I agree with you. The Red Sea test alk test are tough to tell when it turns blue to orange or is that a darker orange? Which goes through my head hah

Yeah I wonder every time if it's orange enough? Like for instance the calcium test turns blue but when you are close to reaching the calcium color change it goes blue then purple then blue and I usually take my reading when it stays blue instead of going right back to purple. I should have just gotten Hannah checkers

i used to use the redsea test kits alot but made the switch over to the hanna kits ,..they have a little learning curve too, but as others have said its alot easier on the eyes

I had Red Sea tests for about 10 months and I loved them until the reagents expired. I was so frustrated because I'd hardly used any of it and felt like it was a waste of money when it expired. Now I'm buying Hannah checkers.

I think I'm gonna buy an ALK Hanna checker and see how it goes.

Ok not to beat a dead horse but...
I have to use this test because I can't buy anything for awhile.

In these pictures it's easier for me to tell when the color begins to change from blue to orange. What shade of orange am I looking for here? The VERY first sign of orange? Or am I looking for the final picture where it's a dark orange? Dkh range in these pictures is 9.5-14. I suppose I can manage with that as long as I maintain it within this range but that seems huge. I don't know much about it but I feel like this could lead me to some potential problems.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452536308.028918.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452536321.411423.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452536331.661965.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452536343.780613.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452536372.299398.jpg

I usually look at the first sign of it changing. I use an elos test kit for my ALk and its suppose to go from cyan blue to yellow, Once I see the color changes from it thats where I stop. Every now and then I use one more drop to see if it makes the color darker but I at least know where my range is. I understand where your coming from here, as I struggle with my Calcium test kit.

I agree with mad...once it changes colors slightly that's the number. This post made me realize how much I didn't like my Red Sea test kit I went out and got the Hanna checker.

Just tested today both to see how for I was off with the titration and digital.

Hanna: 6 dkh
Red Sea titration: 6.2

In your fourth picture is usually where I stop. Your last picture the yellow/orange is pretty vibrant. Never get mine that deep color. Figured I would share my experience

I'm gonna have to get a Hanna checker. But I'll go with the first sign of change and I appreciate you guys sharing some info/experience with me.

Back
Top Bottom