Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2003, 11:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

need advice on heating & lighting

I have just converted from freshwater to saltwater. I have a 75 gal tank with 90 lbs of LR and 100 lbs of LS. The tank has an overflow built in which flows into a Amiracle wet/dry filter with the pump in it is a Rio3100. I also have a Surge600 in the tank for extra water movement. My questions are:
1- can I relocate my heater which is a Eb0-Jager model TS to the overflow to clear up the back of the tank? if I do, will it still heat the quick flowing water in the overflow?
2- will (till I get More $) a coral sun 36" actinic 420 lamp and a Corallife 6500K T12 lamp work for the time being. All I have in the tank now are 6 hermits and 2 damsels.

Old 03-25-2003, 11:41 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
1- can I relocate my heater which is a Eb0-Jager model TS to the overflow to clear up the back of the tank? if I do, will it still heat the quick flowing water in the overflow?
Move it to the Wet/Dry, if it won't fit in the wet/dry it should be OK in the overflow. I would also recommend you get rid of the bioballs in the wet/dry. The LR is more than adequate for your biological needs and has the added benefit of reducing nitrates, where the biomedia in the wet/dry will produce nitrates.

Quote:
2- will (till I get More $) a coral sun 36" actinic 420 lamp and a Corallife 6500K T12 lamp work for the time being. All I have in the tank now are 6 hermits and 2 damsels.
You are liable to lose some coralline algae growth on the LR, but yes it will work temporarily.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 01:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

If I do remove the bio-balls what then is the purpose of the ex-wet/dry? Just a water mover? also, do I remove the filter material also?
Old 03-25-2003, 02:52 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Sorry it took me so long to get back. There are many purposes to a sump, which is all the wet/dry is without the biomedia. You should read this article by Fishfreek on sumps to give you a better idea of their usefulness and their purpose.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=12

Old 03-25-2003, 05:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay, I have removed all the bio-balls and the filter fabric sheet, the heater has a min water level line, I presume it is okay to lay it horizontal in the ex-wet/dry(sump). True? Also, the Surge600 is behind a curved LR and covered by another LR, is that OK or should it be exposed? Sorry about the simple little questions but want to get it right. There is soooo much info on this site it makes you dizzy.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:40 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
the heater has a min water level line, I presume it is okay to lay it horizontal in the ex-wet/dry(sump).
Yep, provided ofcourse it is a submersible heater

Quote:
the Surge600 is behind a curved LR and covered by another LR, is that OK or should it be exposed?
If it provides good waterflow to the rest of the tank as it is positioned now....it's fine. I would caution though powerheads need servicing from time to time and it sounds like yours may be a pain to get to for servicing. If it is easy to get to and you don't envision putting corals and other stuff on the rocks adjacent, it'll be OK.

Quote:
Sorry about the simple little questions but want to get it right.
Not a problem, that is what this site is for.

Tags
eat, eating, heating, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com