Need advice on small foxface rabbitfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

360º

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok so my friends dad left town for a week and when he came back all his saltwater fish were dead except for one.

he called me this morning and asked if i could take this one fish and keep him in my tank.

i went and picked it up. Its a small foxface rabbitfish (about 2 inches)
hes not even yellow, he's kind of a brown color with white spots.

is it sick or something? is it safe to put in my tank?

i realize that its gonna outgrow my tank (55 gallon), but hopefully my friends dad will get his tank up and running to take it back soon

If you should setup a QT. This will be a good way to see if the fish is sick and also a good way to make sure it is eating well.

i've done some reading in the last little bit. its not white spots like ich.

apparently when the fish is stressed it loses its color and becomes blotchy.

i just called him and he said his nitrates were off the scale of his test kit..... over 100ppm

i cant really get a picture, he's in a plastic container

i think im gonna try and acclimate him to my water and see if anything changes

That is the first and most important thing to do. Acclimate him slowly and then go from there. The fish is in allot of stress. How many fish do you have in your tank?

he's just stressed. i have one in the tank i maintain and he does the same thing whenever i put my hand in to do some maintenance.

thanks. i did all that.... when i came home tonight he was swimming around nicely and he was nice and yellow.... but as soon as he saw me, he hid behind the rock and got all pale again.... i think he's just scared

he seemed fine and was eating well so i finally transfered him into my big tank

here he is

5340540569_9678be0423_z.jpg

Back
Top Bottom