Need advice on stocking order

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New hobbyist

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
IMG_2352.jpg
Hello all, I am setting up a 160 gallon tank. It is going well so far and it is finishing up going through it's cycle. I have a list of fish that spark my interest. I know I need to add them very slowly but just need some advice on order to which to purchase or also if any of them are not a good idea at all. Or if you have any other suggestions that I may not be aware of or thought about. I am planning on fish only for a very long time since it's a new system so no need to worry about reef safe at this point. I just am looking for very colorful attractive fish since there won't be corals for color. So here is my list of interests!!! I'm not adding all of these just wondering which would do best with which and what order to purchase. Thank you so much in advance!!! I have researched and am getting a good idea jut wanted a second opinion.

2 maroon clowns
2-3 yellow tangs
1-2 coral beauty
1-2 flame angels
Niger trigger
Harlequin tusk
Valentini puffer
Powder blue tang
Mandarin dragonette
Fox face
Emperor angel or Koran angel
Black and white butterfly
Sailfin tang
Skeptical about a clown trigger

Also plan on having crabs snails and a few inverts

View attachment 297978
Hello all, I am setting up a 160 gallon tank. It is going well so far and it is finishing up going through it's cycle. I have a list of fish that spark my interest. I know I need to add them very slowly but just need some advice on order to which to purchase or also if any of them are not a good idea at all. Or if you have any other suggestions that I may not be aware of or thought about. I am planning on fish only for a very long time since it's a new system so no need to worry about reef safe at this point. I just am looking for very colorful attractive fish since there won't be corals for color. So here is my list of interests!!! I'm not adding all of these just wondering which would do best with which and what order to purchase. Thank you so much in advance!!! I have researched and am getting a good idea jut wanted a second opinion.

2 maroon clowns
2-3 yellow tangs-1
1-2 coral beauty-1
1-2 flame angels-1
Niger trigger
Harlequin tusk
Valentini puffer
Powder blue tang
Mandarin dragonette-tank needs to be established for about 8-10 months before adding
Fox face
Emperor angel or Koran angel-gets to big
Black and white butterfly
Sailfin tang
Skeptical about a clown trigger-to aggressive/big

Also plan on having crabs snails and a few inverts

See my edits. No cuc with the tusk/trigger. Will kill any inverts in the tank. May kill mandarin. I'd still cut out a couple fish. Those are some big guys on that list plus powder blues are notorious for ich. Not an easy fish to keep. Oh and heniochus (black/white butterfly) can be super mean too.

My suggestion is decide here and now if your gonna want a reef. If you do cut the trigger, puffer, heniochus and tusk. If not keep those guys and cut the mandarin.

Great advice thank you so much. What does cuc stand for about the tusk/ trigger?

the maroon clowns are they the dark ones with white or yellow stripe
reason I ask the dark maroons with yellow or white stripes get huge my female is over 6in in size
they are also very aggressive guarding there territory
light maroons with white stripes get to around 4in and not as aggressive

Last edited:
Ok I would suggest adding all the peaceful fish and gen when they all get settled add the territorial/ aggressive fish because the territorial will develop a territory at first not letting nicer fish in the area

Back
Top Bottom