need advice with hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpeedRacerXX1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
have a recent problem with hair algae. have many snails.mithrax crabs, 1 powder blue tang, and some hermit crabs. this is in a 180 gal reef tank no phosphates, no nitrate, no nitrite, ph 8.2 salt 1.023-024 temp 77-78 always lights on about 6 hours a day. cant seem to get rid of it. getting ready to setup a refugium in this week/weekend once i make the water.
any suggestions on how to get rid of it.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

joe

I have always had somegreen hair algae in my tank. After a while it was growing faster then my two tangs could eat it. I am sure it was mostly just from me overfeeding. I threw in 5 emerald crabs and they mowed it down in a few days. They also eat any food left on the sand.

i agree emerald crabs(or gorrilla crabs which they like 2 call em at work)work really well at getting rid of the dredded hair algie,it worked for me anyway.failling that i had a meeting with the guy who develops all the bio claire products,not sure if u r familliar with bio-claire but basically it is a company that makes completely natural products for our little pond and aquarium problems,anyway he assured me that there is a new product neally ready 4 retail which is purposely designed for getting rid of hair algie in our marine aquariums.

Since you are planning to get a refugium, add some caulerpa algae into your refugium. caulerpa algae will fight over for nutrient (i.e. nutrient here means nitrate, phosphate which come from animal wastes.) Hence, hair algae will gradually die off due to lack of nutrient.

Hope that well :wink:

Back
Top Bottom