Need Biomedia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnkristie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I forgot to add this to my last post. I would like to add some biomedia to the sump and overflow chambers. What would you guys recommend for the best biomedia. Bioballs, ceramics, plastic floss? Thanks!! 8O

I'm just starting up a 225 gal SW tank. It has two overflow chambers, one on either end. I was planning on having the two chambers flow down into a 15gal sump. Right now there are no biomedia in the side overflow chambers or sump.

I wasn't. I was thinking that if I had enough biomedia in the sump and overflow chambers thaqt I wouldn't need any.

You should look into a manufactured wet/dry filter for your tank rated for the capacity of your tank or larger. It is liable to hold more water than your proposed sump and will be set up for efficient nitrification. If you wanted you could add bioballs to your overflows, it won't be the most efficient for nitrification....but it will keep them quiet. I, as a preferance, find it unsightly and difficult to service. Eventually the bioballs will be coated with brown bacterial slime that may clog the overflows.

Back
Top Bottom