Need bulkheads and quarantine advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dansemacabre

Aquarium Advice Freak
First order of business: anyone know an online retailer with a good selection of bulkhead fittings? I can't find the right size anywhere! The drilled hole is 1.5" and the pvc is 1.5". I don't want to use an adapter to go smaller on the pvc because it needs to handle a lot of flow! Any ideas?

Second, I've got the power filter running in the sump, so bacteria should grow on the sponges in the power filter. I'm then going to transport the filter to the quarantine tank, carrying the bacteria with it, and using existing tank water for the QT tank. I'll prolly have the fish in there for 3 weeks or more. How long do you think I should leave the power filter in the sump to grow/collect bacteria? A week? Thanks! :)

I think I may have found a perfect one at captivereefs... but keep the suggestions coming in case it doesn't work out. :)

Bulkhead fittings = http://www.marinedepot.com

If the hole and PVC are the exact same size then you WONT find a bulkhead to fit. Most bulkheads are 1/2 - 3/4" larger in diamater than the PVC that connects to them. For example a 1" PVC bulkhead would need a 1 3/4" hole most of the time.

How much flow does it need to handle?

The flow from a Mag12, that only has to push the water up 4 feet and one 90° elbow. There's only one overflow hole, and it's impossible to drill another. If it comes down to it, I suppose I could put a ball-valve on the return line. Ideas?

dansemacabre said:
The flow from a Mag12, that only has to push the water up 4 feet and one 90° elbow. There's only one overflow hole, and it's impossible to drill another. If it comes down to it, I suppose I could put a ball-valve on the return line. Ideas?

I have a 1" bulkhead and it can only handle a Mag 7.. YOu can use that as a reference..

dansemacabre said:

A ball valve will work.. thats how i regulate flow to my fuge

Sorry, I measured incorrectly :oops: My arms and hands are pretty big and it's a bit tough to fit the measure down that overflow compartment. (Access to the bottom of the tank isn't possible in its current configuration. The hole is approx 1.75", so I should be able to use a 1" bulkhead fitting and a ball-valve to control any excess flow coming from the pump. While we're on that topic though, is there any way to make that stupid flex-tubing any more flexible? It's not really fun to work with right now. Also, does anyone have any recommendations as to how long I should leave the power filter in the sump to collect bacteria? Thanks for all the help on the bulkheads guys! (y)

Might it perhaps become more workable when it's got 82° water running through it? They're cole now, and just a pain. =] I'm gonna be redoing the plumbing with the new stand, so there will be a lot less tubing to deal with, but I was curious. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom