Need coral help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmjead

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone. I just received a mushroom coral that I ordered on-line. All of the 12 mushroom polyps detached from the rock. Anyone have any idea how to get them reattached? If you put them back on the rock they eventually just fall off with the current (and usually wind up behind the rock never to be seen again). HELP!

You can use superglue gel to carefully attach them. Or even simpler, find some fine mesh like bridal veil mesh, place the mushrooms on the rock, cover with the mesh and then use rubber bands to secure the mesh. You may even want to use the superglue gel and cover with mesh. Otherwise, the shrooms will blow around the tank and settle and attach wherever they end up. The things are virtually indestructible. HTH :D

so do corals attach themselves over time? superglue seems so....weird.
you'd think it'd be terrible to use in a SW tank...but I've seen more than one reference to its use.

Depends on the coral. Soft corals in general will attach quite quickly on their own. Some in a few short days, other a little longer. They also do not glue well due to the natural slime and no hard surface but can sometimes be dried sufficiently with a dry cloth long enough to get a good contact.

Glueing is moreso used with hard corals since they grow much slower and not always where you'd prefer. Since most have a solid base, it makes it much easier to use a glue but if not using a combination of reef epoxy and super glue gel works well.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom