need duster info.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

33w_fish_guy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just purchased a giant feather duster. And I wanted to know what other info I can get in reguard to behavior, the LFS guy gave me some info but not enough to make me feel comfortable. Could anyone help?

Attachments

• new_feather.jpg
    new_feather.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 82
info below courtesy of liveaquaria.com

personally, these guys are kinda fun. you can watch them as a piece of food comes or if something brushes it, move its head in. pretty durable things.

enjoy

Ryan

Feather Duster
(Sabellastarte sp.)
Quick Stats
Care Level: Easy
Water Flow: Medium
Tank Conditions: 72-78°F; sg 1.023-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12
Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 7"
Color Form: Orange, Brown, Tan
Temperament: Peaceful
Reef Compatible: Yes
Diet: Omnivore
Origin: Indo-Pacific
Family: Sabellidae

The Feather Duster, also known as Giant Feather Duster, has a fan-shaped crown (radiole) that is tan or orange with brown band colorations. The radiole of some species from certain locales may be up to 7 inches in diameter, or of brighter colors.

The Feather Duster uses the radiole to filter out small floating organisms, which it directs toward its mouth, located at the center of the crown. It protects its segmented body by secreting a parchment-like tube to cover itself. When it is disturbed, it can quickly pull in its radiole into the tube. If it is severely stressed, it will discard its crown, growing it back later.

The Feather Duster is usually found in the coral rubble at the base of the reef aquarium, with some of the rubble being incorporated into its parchment-like tube. It needs to be housed in a well-established reef system as it is dependent upon plankton for its diet. It is very intolerant of copper-based medications.

Supplemental feeding of phytoplankton and liquid organic foods should be provided.

i have had one for 2 years not a giant thow but he is cool after the first month i got him all the feathers fell off i was pissed thought he was a gonner then i was told by peeps here to leave it and bam he had a hole new set of feathers even nicer looking he hasnt done that again but i love him i dont feed him anything should i be?

They are really neat critters. They move their feathers in and out all day. The little hairs on the feathers move the food particles into the mouth, but this happens on the underside of the feathers. So if you are target feeding aim the food underneath the feather not directly on top otherwise it will just pull its feathers in and not get any of the food.

Don't place it in front of a powerhead. Although it does need moderate flow. if the flow is too large it will actually leave it tube to find a better spot. Sometimes they survive, but more likely become a meal for another tank resident.

Might try some Cyclopeeze every so often. I've got 5 of'm and only swish some"peeze" around in the water about once a week. All doing very well.

Back
Top Bottom