Need fun and interesting facts about saltwater aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chirp

Aquarium Advice Activist
My son is 5years old, and he wants to do a presentation to his class about our aquarium. I need some interesting factoids that he can tell his class. Please bear in mind the age of the audience. He'll be doing a presentation with several color pictures of our aquarium. The inhabitants are:
1. Midas blenny
2. False clownfish
3. Pigmy cherub angel
4. Royal Gramma
5. 6 line wrasse
6. Yasha goby + pistol shrimp
7. Fire shrimp
8. Some turbo snails, narcissus snails, and some hermit crabs
9. Crosea clam

For coral I have:
1. Green acans
2. Pulsating xenias
3. Frogspawn
4. Torch coral
5. Purple hammer coral
6. Purple bubble coral
7. Button coral
8. Duncan coral
9. Green zoas
9. Some mushrooms + ricordeas

The only interesting facts that I know are:
1. Clownfish are not born male or female, but become a boy or girl later on in life.
2. Corals are more considered to be more animal than plant.

Thanks for your help. :)

Clownfish are actually born male and the dominant fish in the group becomes a female. I know your sons "audience" is a bit young to grasp this one but some zoas contain the second most potent toxin called palytoxin which has the means to kill in large enough doses. They may also be interested in the fact that most corals are actually made up of many tiny animals who together build a single calcium structure for them all too inhabit almost like a mini hotel lol.

The midas blenny changes colors based on its mood. They get dark at night or when scared or hiding, bright yellow when happy, and mine looks kinda peach-ish when eating.

The Great Barrier Reef is the only living structure viewable from space. Kids might find that interesting. 1,600 miles long.

Fined-tuned team work: corals are animals that house tiny plant-like lifeforms (zooxanthellae) in them.

The tiny plant-like lifeforms provide the corals with energy which they derive from light and grant them spectacular colors.

In exchange, the corals provide these lifeforms with a safe home and shelter.

Most of the color of corals is not actually the color of the coral itself, but of the algea that lives in the tisses of the coral.

Stinging corals, like your torch, hammer and frogspawn have long sweeper tentacles that typically come out and night, and kill and capture food by stinging it and sweeping it into their oral disc.

They'd probably think that it was interesting that most corals are photosynthetic and use the lights to eat. :)

Hermit crabs are cool kids like those to I have 15 of them and they swap shells like crazy it's funny to watch and the eat the waste in the tank except for them and peppermints being carnivores mine eat the seaweed I put in the tank for the damsels

Or, I can already hear 5 year olds talking about how your son has rocks that are "alive." lol. Maybe explaining live rock a little bit. :) or that is purple because of a plant that's growing on the rocks. I bet the teacher of that class will get to learn a lot of interesting things in a lot of interesting ways. Lol. How fun!

Back
Top Bottom