Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #11
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I'd try to grow them, but I don't have the room. Ive already been ordered to clear the sink, surrounded by fish stuff, and the stove, covered in dog stuff, so my fiancée can actually use the kitchen...

I have only ever ordered my pods from reefs2go. Never had a single issue with the pods. And though my mandarin may not eat the larger pods my theory is that once they reproduce their young become tasty snacks. I can only believe it to be true since I am going months without restocking and have a fat green mandarin.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I hear that!

I placed my plans to grow them on hold last night. I harvested a 10" ball of chaeto from my algae scrubber and shook the ball in a bucket. There were hundreds of pods in just that small clump of chaeto, so I guess I am good to go.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It is a good idea to get a population of pods growing quickly. I got a scooter blenny and even with 2 feedings a day it wasn't enough for him. They really need to graze all day on them. Since I started growing some live phytoplankton there has been a HUGE surge in the number of pods in my tank so I would greatly suggest buying a culture. I have been adding 1/4 cup of isochrysis every other day in my 20g reef w/ 10g refugium and the only problem I have seen is a small jump in the amount of phosphates which could be because I didn't let the culture grow long enough to use up all of the available phosphates that are used as fertilizer for them.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
It is a good idea to get a population of pods growing quickly. I got a scooter blenny and even with 2 feedings a day it wasn't enough for him. They really need to graze all day on them. Since I started growing some live phytoplankton there has been a HUGE surge in the number of pods in my tank so I would greatly suggest buying a culture. I have been adding 1/4 cup of isochrysis every other day in my 20g reef w/ 10g refugium and the only problem I have seen is a small jump in the amount of phosphates which could be because I didn't let the culture grow long enough to use up all of the available phosphates that are used as fertilizer for them.
Couldn't agree more. Dragonettes eat a lot of pods that's for certain. Use to culture green water, but I think I will try some phyto paste.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:19 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I've also got a scooter blenny and my cheato algea has overpopulated my entire tank with pods, you can watch them crawl on the sand the rocks and all. My scooter loves it, he also is acustomed to eating brine shrimp and flakes now. It's just fun to watch em graze. Their mating dance is awesome to.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You have a good problem. Nice to hear about dragonettes in systems where they prosper.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the info about pods. Now I have a few places to try them from and maybe start my own culture. I would love to see some pics of nice dragonettes that you all have too!
Old 06-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadair22 View Post
mmm, never had a scooter blenny but I don't believe they need them to survive.. If you have a sump or refugium, I would just stick a ball of cheato from you lfs in there. Thats where I got all my pods from.. Also I had a wrasse until just recently so I'm sure he was munching on them, and yet I still saw plenty of them in my DT and sump
Scooter Blennies are dragonettes they need pods as part of their diet. I have two red ones and they are trained to eat flake pellet and frozen but I still add pods once every six months

Tags
copepods

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com