Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-18-2004, 03:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to Apache58
Need Help!

OK well ive had my tank running for about a month now, still havent gotten fish. i have a 20 G. and im running a filter and a powerhead in the tank. I also have Live Sand, and 5lbs of Live Rock, I know i prob should have more. but ive been waiting to get fish until the tank was ready and all the water tests came out ok. its been two weeks since my last water test and then the results were good, but now im seeing a lot more algae in the tank than i used to and the live rock is covered with a brown algae. and there are a few spots of green. So im starting to get a little impatient cause i really want to have fish but i also want to know if it would be best for me to save up at get a protein skimmer and more live rock to help filtration. money is a bit of a problem, im in college, so it comes slowly...if the water is testing ok, would it still be ok to put fish in there?, just looking for all the opinions i can get on this. Thank you in advance.

Apache58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 05:13 PM   #2
The algaes are normal growing pains with a new tank. They will subside in time if you are using RO water. You could add some snails once the tank has properly cycled and the NH3 and NO2 are no longer detectable. I would first decide on whether or not more LR will be added. If it where me, that would be the first step. Add all the LR you need before stocking the tank with animals. It's more than possible to cure the rock seperately later but IMO, when you start spending money on animals, the necessary items get "missed".

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com